BRRR Bathroom Remodel: Tile or Fiberglass?

6 Replies

I have a BRRR property under contract and the bathroom shower needs updating. It is very small and I plan to make it larger. I have two options: Fiberglass Shower tub or Tile. I would like my property to get the most value during the Refinance but at the same time it is a rental.

Does anyone have advice on which method is the most common or the most best use of my money?

Purchase price: 80K, Rehab: 15K, ARV: 130K, Rents: $1100-1200

Thanks!

Originally posted by @Ashton Fry :

I have a BRRR property under contract and the bathroom shower needs updating. It is very small and I plan to make it larger. I have two options: Fiberglass Shower tub or Tile. I would like my property to get the most value during the Refinance but at the same time it is a rental.

Does anyone have advice on which method is the most common or the most best use of my money?

Thanks!

I would go with fiberglass, because it is water tight and no grout to clean. Tenants will not keep it clean, then you are stuck with a mess to clean when they move out. Tile on flips, fiberglass on rentals...

Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock :
Originally posted by @Ashton Fry:

Thanks!

I would go with fiberglass, because it is water tight and no grout to clean. Tenants will not keep it clean, then you are stuck with a mess to clean when they move out. Tile on flips, fiberglass on rentals...

I agree. Also, this sounds like a somewhat lower end rental with tenants who won't necessarily be expecting a high end finish bathroom.

@Ashton Fry fiberglass seems to be the best route, but I would look to see what other houses in the area have. It may be a waste to do tile if no other place in the area has it as it won’t affect the value as much as you think it would.

@Ashton Fry , I actually view it the other way.  I have had to replace vinyl surrounds at every turn in my rentals.  Granted, I had a tub in place, so I am specifically referring to the vinyl wall coverings.  The corners never stay water tight, the seal where it meets the tub never stays water tight.  If there are any built in shelves, they break very easily.

I started doing tile many years ago, and have not had an issue since.  Yes, they need cleaned, just like a vinyl surround at turn, but have yet to have to replace anything other than grout.  I replaced 3 vinyl surrounds in 5 years on one rental before starting over with tile, and didn't have an issue in 5 years at that house.