State of contractors in Indiana

3 Replies

I haven’t seen many posts geared towards the state of workers right now so wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on the quality/availability of construction Workers right now. I am a construction manager by day and I know it’s been tough finding quality guys. The guys that are working are getting burned out because of how much work is out there right now. Similar companies have said the same thing. I do have some great guys that work for me in my contracting company however as I grow I am in need of more guys with more availability. Has anyone shifted how they do things or how they look for guys now? Curious on what everyone is doing to compensate for this crazy time. 

I'm a plumbing contractor in NJ. Its the same old stories everytime I go to the supplyhouses and talk to other plumbers; 

"can't find anyworkers, they're too busy, the cost of doing business keeps rising, another guy under bid me, its feast or famine" 

my favorite is "the big bad evil flate rate company charges more than double what I do and steals all the work/customers"  

Ask them why they charge what they charge. Youll usually get an answer like "I charge X because my competitors charge Y". Don't make it a race to the bottom. 

Simple answer to all their problems is to charge more 

If you're busy to the point that your guys are over worked and are struggling to grow thats a sign that your profit margins could be stronger. 

if you get every job you bid on then you're not charging enough. stop trying to compete with other contractors prices. The lowest price is the going out of business rate. 

@George W. Valid points for everyone to hear. It’s okay to start out at lower pricing to gain traction and get clients to get your name out there but you definitely can’t stay that way forever. That’s where a lot of people fail. 

Originally posted by @Account Closed Valid points for everyone to hear. It’s okay to start out at lower pricing to gain traction and get clients to get your name out there but you definitely can’t stay that way forever. That’s where a lot of people fail. 

I would definitely agree thats where alot of guys fail. They start their business with good intentions to run it better than where they used to work but they end up with a business that ends up owning them just like a job in the long run.