Cedar Rapids Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Wallraff
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
Derecho 2020: The trees are gone, what now?

Nicholas Wallraff
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Posted Aug 17 2020, 10:00

Hello everyone, I hope your friends and families are safe and your homes are still standing.  I'm still not sure how it's been a week already, but here we are.  I've spent The last 7 days going house to house helping friends and family cut trees out of their yards and off of their houses, volunteering at the fire department, patching roofs, walls, etc.  It has been exhausting, stressful, rewarding, and a great diet strategy (down 5 lbs. in 5 days!).

As the power comes on, daily life returns, and reality sets in, there is much more work to come.  I created this thread so that we could share our experiences and help each other out with the unique challenges we will be facing in the coming months.  We will be dealing with insurance companies, contractors, utility companies, etc.  There are contractors here from all over the country that no one has worked with before, some will be good, some will be bad.  Please share your experiences here and let others know what is working for you, and what you still need help with.