Skip to content
Overland Park Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Edward Stephens
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Leawood, KS
Votes |
Most Appreciating Areas of Johnson County?

Edward Stephens
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Leawood, KS
Posted Sep 27 2015, 18:25

Hi Everyone,

I currently live near North Kansas City, MO and aim to invest in multifamily real estate in Johnson County.  I have heard Johnson County is bringing in many new big employers.  I assume this will lead to a lot of real estate appreciation and higher market rents as employees flood into these areas looking for homes.  My questions are:

(1) Where can I find which employers are coming to Johnson County?  I'd like to know exactly when they plan to be operational, exactly where they will be located, how many jobs they plan to bring to the area, and what kind of jobs these employers will provide (low wage service jobs, white collar technical, etc.)  Are there trade journals, newspapers, blogs, or other things I can read to find this information?  Are there specific people I should contact (e.g., local government offices)?

(2) Is it a sound practice to invest in small multifamily properties in these appreciating areas?  My goal is eventually to buy larger (commercial) multifamily properties, but I want to cut my teeth on 2-4 unit properties first.  I have wondered about having to compete with big fancy apartment complexes once things start taking off in these appreciating areas.

As always, thanks for any advice and help!  -Edward

Loading replies...