KS tornado preparation

3 Replies

Hi Kansas city investors/professionals/friends!

I am an out of state investor.
While planning to buy SFH in KS MO (fairwood-and-robandee), I was wondered:

1. How common are tornados in KS MO? when was the last one?

2. Is there Insurance that covers tornados damages? If so, does anyone has any estimation for it?

Appreciate your help! Thank you very much! 

Originally posted by @Idan Narotzki :

Hi Kansas city investors/professionals/friends!

I am an out of state investor.
While planning to buy SFH in KS MO (fairwood-and-robandee), I was wondered:

1. How common are tornados in KS MO? when was the last one?

2. Is there Insurance that covers tornados damages? If so, does anyone has any estimation for it?

Appreciate your help! Thank you very much! 

I have lived in Kansas City, MO for 32 years and have never seen a tornado.  Sure, we have a few small tornados in the area every year (which can be scary), but major EF3+ destructive tornados are pretty rare.  

In fact, I didn't even know about the tornados a few weeks ago...it looks like those were EF0 & EF1 (60 to 100MPH winds).

Most standard home insurance policies should include coverage for tornado damage.  Insurance is typically about .5% up to 1% of the property value.

I currently pay around .6% of my property value on an annual basis.

Hey here is some tornado advice...yes, we got a lot of that for a month or so every year. Tree trimming is something you need to pay attention to. I spend 2700 on a property recently...the trees they trimmed were fine...I left one tree untrimmed...by the parking lot...missed. tenants cars by 10 feet!!!! Get those trees trimmed...thats my tornado advice.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here