• Investor
  • Calgary, Alberta
Votes |
Looking to Invest and Make Connections in Louisville

Brianne H.
  • Investor
  • Calgary, Alberta
Posted Dec 30 2018, 14:41

Hi, I'm a Canadian looking to invest in the US, and in my research of various markets, I seem to keep coming back to Louisville, KY. Some of the positives that I see are:

- A significant sized population that's growing

- Property taxes are fairly low

- Landlord-tenant laws are supportive of landlords

- Cost to purchase a property isn't astronomical 

- Cost of living and diversity of jobs seem good 

Beyond that, I don't know much about the market, or specific areas that tend to be best for cashflow. I'd like to be able to do as much research as possible from a distance so that when I make the trip out, I have a better understanding of the areas and be better able to analyze deals. I'd also like to start meeting others and making connections, as I'm hoping to be able to purchase my first US property in the next 3-6 months (assuming things go to plan!) I'm looking for cashflow, and would like to buy a 3- or 4-plex, appreciation is a bonus but cashflow is the main consideration. 

- What are the pros/cons that you've found for investing in Louisville? 

- Are there other markets in Kentucky that you've found to be better cashflow? 

- Are there things that you've come across that are not investor-friendly? (Ex: A certain area has rent-control, or there's a little-known provision in the landlord-tenant act that strongly favours the tenant, or something else?) 

- Have you been able to easily find good people to work with? Handyman, property manager, realtor, etc? 

- What's your average cashflow per door? Or cash-on-cash? Or Cap rate? 

Thank you! 

Loading replies...