Jade N.
  • Bowie, MD
Votes |
Rehabbing old row homes

Jade N.
  • Bowie, MD
Posted Jan 16 2022, 19:00

Hello, 

For those rehabbing old Baltimore row homes...what is the average cost for installing a new HVAC system? What about modernizing plaster walls? Are you covering them with drywall? I am trying to determine rehab costs and appreciate any feedback. Thank you. 

User Stats

Votes
Jon K.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Perry Hall, MD
Votes |
  • Perry Hall, MD
Replied Jan 16 2022, 19:33

Hey @Jade N., long time no talk! If you are just talking about replacing the existing systems and don't have to run additional ductwork, electric lines, upgrade service, etc. then you're probably looking at anywhere from $5500 to $6000. I just paid $6850 to do this in a row home in Baltimore County but we moved things a bit so there was some additional ductwork involved.

Also, unless the plaster walls are in terrible shape I wouldn't do anything to "modernize" them. Just clean them up and paint.

Feel free to message me with any other questions. I've done some pretty thorough remodels of many Baltimore row homes the past two years. Happy to share some numbers/knowledge.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 17 2022, 06:53

I'd agree with the figures Jon gave (he should know - he's had plenty of experience!). I usually estimate $7k for HVAC. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jade N.
  • Bowie, MD
Votes |
  • Bowie, MD
Replied Jan 17 2022, 16:16

Thank you for the feedback! I will leave the plaster walls alone. Maybe replacing the baseboards would be enough? What would it typically cost to install a completely new HVAC system to a home with radiators? I was quoted $15k-30k. 

User Stats

Votes
Jon K.
  • Perry Hall, MD
Votes |
  • Perry Hall, MD
Replied Jan 17 2022, 18:23

For a BRRRR, I'm not replacing baseboards unless they have lead paint on them. If any are missing or damaged I'll replace them (and perhaps the rest in the room to make it look uniform) but after that would anyone really notice if the baseboards in one bedroom are different than another? It won't affect the ARV the way flooring, kitchens and bathrooms would and tenants will not care. I'll send you some photos/videos (having trouble uploading them here) to show you the most recent one.

Cost of new HVAC plus ductwork, including gas/electric lines w/ permits for a row home along with removing radiators you are probably talking 12 to 13k. I just did this in a split level foyer in Abingdon and that was roughly what it cost. Much larger house but the layout was easier to work with considering it was just two stories.

User Stats

Votes
    Ozzy Sirimsi
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Baltimore, MD
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Baltimore, MD
    Replied Jan 19 2022, 06:44

An investor can get it done around 10-12K for the system, then you will have bulk heads around, so may be another 1000-1500 to finish those.

It is more about who you know, My brother in law just got quoted for 28K :D)))