• Rosedale, MD
Votes |
BGE Cut Off my Gas for Reasons Out of My Control

Joe Gemma
  • Investor
  • Rosedale, MD
Posted Jan 29 2018, 10:48

Hi BP Community,

I’m in the midst of a very unusual situation with Baltimore County Gas & Electric (BGE). I purchased a rowhome in Middle River on 10/25 and at the time of purchase all gas appliances were working properly. Sometime shortly after my gas main was shut off at the street (underground). They told me that the reason was due to the next door neighbor (no details provided to me) and that my property was branched on the same gas main as theirs (so basically I was collateral damage). After weeks of back and forth with BGE, I was finally assigned a ‘designer’ to lay out what needed to be done to get gas provided to my property. The designer contacted me in December and said that the original gas main would not be turned back on so BGE would need to engineer a new gas line to my property. Finally, last Monday, Jan 22, the designer contacted me stating that everything was ready to go and that they have submitted for permits to Baltimore County and that I should contact them in 2 weeks to see if it has been approved. 

Then today, the designer contacts me again and said that now, engineering has informed him that the installation of a new gas line would be my responsibility to handle. This makes no sense and is where I am looking for advice. It is my understanding that not only is it BGE’s duty to provide me the means to have heat, but also illegal for them to shut off gas in the winter months.

The whole situation has been so bizarre and I’m at a point where I’m at a loss. Hoping someone may have some advice. Not sure if going to the public service commission will do any good. 

Thanks all 

Loading replies...