Votes
Ugur Altindag
  • Malden, MA
Votes |
Eviction related questions

Ugur Altindag
  • Malden, MA
Posted Mar 4 2018, 20:51

Hello everyone, I am a new member of biggerpockets.com, this is my first post, wanted to ask few questions to any member who experienced eviction before. I really appreciate it. 

I have purchased my first MF property in late 2016 in Malden area, and begin living in one unit, and rented second unit to professional squatters ( thanks to my real estate agent who did not do any screening, I found out later tenant was collecting unemployment when he signed the lease ) . After struggling almost 6 months with legal process, finally I was able to evict the tenant in mid Jan 2018. It cost me close to 20,000 $ ( owed 10,200 back rent, 3,500 $ lawyer, 3,100 $ mover, plus cleaning cost of trashed 2 BR unit -  they were smoking weeds everyday, it took almost a month to get rid of smoke smell )   

- My first question is should I go after tenant for back rent ? I know I have very little chance to get any money but I want to have eviction record in their credit. I have a judgement against father and his 2 adult daughters. I never seen them working during their tenancy over a year. 

- My second question is that can licensed mover company charge me full amount despite of having removed only one third of tenant's belongings from the apt. ? I and mover agreed for 400 $ per room , and they charged me total of 2,400 $ for each of 2 br, small office, living room, kitchen, and basement even only they removed a small bed, sofa, and few boxes tenant wanted to keep, and left everything else in apt, including, a big bed, 2 big dresser, wardrobe, tables, computer desk in all rooms, and a sets of furniture in basement which I have all pictures . I had to pay extra 700 $ to a junk company to remove the rest next day. I tried to call owner of the mover company but he did not return my voicemail. Do you think is it worth sending demand letter to mover company, at least for a fair bill ? 

Thanks in advance

Loading replies...