Amazing Detroit story on DIY-American Rehab: Detroit

5 Replies | Detroit, Michigan

There is an amazing story about a couple that bought their ancestors home. The husband actually, whose family lived in this house. circa 1903.

His great-grandfather appeared to be a prominent citizen of the era and had several children. The couple bought the house, he a grad student with a new born and purchased it at 8k at action.

The two are rehabbing (restoration more so in keeping with the period of the home) the house with help from contractors. Most of the work appears to be done by them. Lots of sanding and staining of wood.

From what I've seen so far it looks amazing from what it started out as.

Has anyone seen this show.

Originally posted by @Tereal Wilsonn :

I think I've heard of the show sponsored by quicken loans right? , 

This was a family house that the grandson restored. Although Quicken Loans has been involved in other projects to help rebuild Detroit. Nicole Curtis from Rehab Addict had Quicken on one of her shows when she was restoring an historical home.

It's amazing the work they can do to make it look a though it stood still in time.

I've actually read about it , and she did do the work for the show but failed to aquire the proper permits for the work , so I believe   No one is living there or can visit the place .

Originally posted by @Tereal Wilsonn :

I've actually read about it , and she did do the work for the show but failed to aquire the proper permits for the work , so I believe   No one is living there or can visit the place .

Really? I know at the end of the show I watched, they had people coming through to tour the work that was done. The President of Quicken Loans was on the site with his people and they were fixing up a neighborhood park with another DIY celeb.

I'm really surprised at not having the proper permits though. I wasn't sure if she was rehabbing for the city as it was considered an historical home. I don't know how that works if someone can actually buy it or if it stays under the ownership of the city.

I believe there is a program supported by Quicken Loans and Home Depot where an end user can buy an auctioned home and get assistance with funding by Quicken Loans and materials from Home Depot..   Not sure if this is the same show but there is a program that is helping to rebuild Detroit..