Rehab property insurance

5 Replies | Detroit, Michigan

I am not an insurance broker.  That needs to be said and understood upfront.  My experience would lead me to:  1) As the homeowner I would have insurance.  I would tell my insurance company the home is vacant (if it is?) and is being renovated.  They will (or should) adjust your policy as needed.  2) The contractor should be carrying builders risk and you need to see a copy of that along with their license.  You can also ask your contractor to add you to the policy as an additional insured or have this specific address be added as such.  Talk to your insurance agent, they can walk you through that but those are the things I would do.