Contractor Recommendations - Grand Rapids, MI

7 Replies

Hi everyone!! REI newbie here, looking to close on my first deal here in the next month or so. Pretty excited!! This will be an owner-occupied building being purchased via an FHA 203(k) loan. As such, I'm needing a few contractor contacts in the area that are dependable, vetted, and trustworthy for a number of items that will be done (furances, water heater, windows, etc). I've requested some recommendations from both my mortgage officer as well as my realtor, but want to cover my bases. Thanks in advance!!

Courtney, thanks for the compliment! Justin the contractor will have to be approved by your bank to handle 203k loans.  This is not difficult to be approved, but you will want to make sure that any recommendation you get meet this requirement. If the remodel is under $30,000 the bank's involvement is much less.  Over $30,000 than they do inspections etc. 

What is the scope of work you are looking to have completed? 

Thanks for the advice thus far everyone!!

@Courtney Sorrell , I'm looking for a contractor that can do the following - furnace, water heater, windows, fencing, and possibly egress. HVAC seems to cover the furnace and water heaters, but they won't do everything else obviously. Preference is to only have 1-2 contractors involved. 

@Tim VandenToorn , correct, I am aware of the FHA 203k requirements. As the total cost for the improvements will be under $20K, I don't think we'll have issues with this. Scope of work noted above.

Originally posted by @Justin Gargus :

Hi everyone!! REI newbie here, looking to close on my first deal here in the next month or so. Pretty excited!! This will be an owner-occupied building being purchased via an FHA 203(k) loan. As such, I'm needing a few contractor contacts in the area that are dependable, vetted, and trustworthy for a number of items that will be done (furances, water heater, windows, etc). I've requested some recommendations from both my mortgage officer as well as my realtor, but want to cover my bases. Thanks in advance!!

Hi Justin-

Follow the article instructions and you should be able to execute a successful outcome:

(3) Secrets Everyone Needs to Know about using a 203k Loan - Its Easy!

Spend (5) minutes reading this article, it will solve all your issues : ) 

Hey all, I'm looking for a recommendation on general contractors in Grand Rapids and/or Grand Haven. Any investor-friendly GC would be a great recommendation and would be greatly appreciated, but the ultimate would be to find a younger/newer general contractor that might be interested coming on board as a partner. Either as a partner them to help me grow a real estate investment company, or as a partner for me to help him build his construction company. I know it's a long shot to find a good one, and if you have a great one you may not want to share, but I have to ask regardless. Thanks! 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here