East Muskegon Neighborhood

8 Replies

My husband and I are looking at a house in the East Muskegon neighborhood. Anyone have experience in that area? The realtor suggested we could get $850/month in rent for a 2 bed, 1 bath, however, my research suggests more like $650-750. It's pretty close to the Heights. This would be our first rental property and cash flow would likely be around $300-400/month.  

I would give lighthouse property management, choice pm, and west shore pm a call to confirm rent rates in that area. My guess is between $700-$800/month

Thank you all for your input!

@John Paleaz

It does have a new roof, new hot water heater, new cabinets/counters and new flooring (the flooring doesn't look like it would last one tenant, though!). It was a quick remodel.

Do you have a problem finding good tenants in that area?

@Clarence Johnson , I'm not a seasoned investor at all and don't know the area too well. But, Muskegon still has some great deals and there seems to be a lot of growth planned for the area. There's houses for 20-50k in what I would consider C class areas, and that's just what I am finding on my own on the MLS or Zillow. I'm sure investors with a network might be able to get houses for better prices in a bit better areas. Your Aunt probably knows what areas to avoid and which ones would be best to invest in.

I know the last reply is 4 months old, but we are hopefully closing on our first deal next month.  We lived in Lakeside for a couple years and now live 20 minutes out of the city. But, we're buying in East Muskegon (very near to MCC). We are getting a 2 bed, 1 bath for $55k and are bumping the tenant's rents from $650/month to $700/month. She pays all utilities. After mortgage, insurance, taxes, cap ex, property management (self-manage), and vacancy, we look to cashflow around $100/month. 

The realtor also is a landlord (actually his property I'm buying) says the market rate for the area is more like $750-800/month for 2bd/1bath, but our property needs a decent amount of renovation. 

I'm curious if you went ahead on the deal? 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here