To Add Central Air in Grand Rapids?

9 Replies

I am looking to purchase a home in Grand Rapids to use as a rental, but it doesn't have central air. As an out of state guy, I was wondering if any other local investors had any insight on how much of a requirement that is and what premium the market places on homes that do have central air versus those that do not. 

To clarify - the heater is a forced air furnace, so I should be able to tie into the distribution system if I were to add central A/C. I appreciate your thoughts!

David

Hey @David Kramer - I'm curious what turned you on to the Grand Rapids market?  It's funny - I also live in San Diego and own a couple investment properties in Grand Rapids. 

For your question on central air - I would say it's a plus but not a requirement.  You can certainly still find a good tenant  without central air, although tenants do prefer it.  As far as the rent premium, my guess is you would get an extra $50 a month or so.  

What area in Grand Rapids are you considering?   

If you're having a hard time finding a cash flowing property in your back yard, might as well look in someone else's back yard, right?! Awesome, thanks for the insight! This one is in Wyoming. I am also looking at properties in the West Side and Grandville! 

Definitely not a requirement for most renters here--I would say most would just view it as a great bonus if you have it. Most renters are used to putting up window AC units for the 2-3 months of the year it gets muggy. I think Ben is correct with around a $50 estimate for rent increase. 

It's not always that simple to add one on to existing furnace systems though; I recently got a quote on adding one and it was much higher than I expected.

@James Marshall - awesome. Appreciate the feedback. I am definitely going to get a quote but it seems like it might not be the hassle or investment (at least for now). 

I find that having Central air in my Wyoming rental is an item that sets me apart from other advertised rentals and i get a bit of a premium on the monthly rent becasue of it. 

@David Kramer I don't know your market but I suspect it would be similar to Indianapolis or Kansas city where I'm active. It really depends on the class of property and what is customary in the area, I can tell you that you would have a pretty tough time renting an A (virtually impossible) or B class property without central air. You may get by with window units in a C class but personally I wouldn't recommend it. It will be harder to rent and it will effect the quality of tenant you get but as I said, it comes down to what is typical in your area. Your property manager would be the best one to advise you,

@Mike D'Arrigo thanks for the input. It is something I plan to do, but am in the decision process for whether we do it right away or after the first year of having it cashflow. I have spoken with a few managers about the implications either way. I definitely value their keen market insights. 

@David Kramer the problem that I see with waiting is that it could have a big impact on the quality of tenant that you get. Just as you want to be choosy about the tenant that you accept, you want a tenant that is choosy about the home that they'll rent. Tenants that are less discerning about where they live do not make ideal tenants. If you get a bad tenant in that year that you put it off, any of that cash flow can vanish if you have to spend a lot of money to make it rent ready again.

hey guys, if you want a good referral on an hvac guy. Send me a PM.  Hes by far has the best price in the area

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here