Real estate experience as a college student.

1 Reply | Grand Rapids, Michigan

Hi all! I have been listening to BP for awhile now and am interested in networking with others in the Grand Rapids area.  I am currently 20 years old and transferring colleges to Grand Valley State University.  I am very excited for this transition!  With that being said, I am interested in learning from you all!  What real estate investing is most popular in GR (single family home, multi family, house hacking, etc)?  Any advice on being exposed to the real estate world as a college student?   I look forward to hearing from you and any insight you can offer.

Originally posted by @Trey Bonne :

Hi all! I have been listening to BP for awhile now and am interested in networking with others in the Grand Rapids area.  I am currently 20 years old and transferring colleges to Grand Valley State University.  I am very excited for this transition!  With that being said, I am interested in learning from you all!  What real estate investing is most popular in GR (single family home, multi family, house hacking, etc)?  Any advice on being exposed to the real estate world as a college student?   I look forward to hearing from you and any insight you can offer.

Welcome to BP Trey from a Laker Alumni! In Grand Rapids, you will find that basically everything is an option. I don't think there is necessarily anything more popular than the other these days. 

If I was talking to myself 7 years ago, I would emphasize learning good money habits (high savings rate, some level of frugality, side hustles). I don't know your financial position, but House Hacking in GR would be great either now or after you graduate. To that point, house hacking is in my opinion (and a lot of others) one of the best ways to get into Real Estate and one of the best personal finance moves you can make. 

I am always happy to chat about real estate, so feel free to DM me if you need anything!

Best of luck with the rest of your semester. 

Sean