• Meadville, PA
Votes |
Best materials to learn about note investing

Charley Gates
  • Investor
  • Meadville, PA
Posted Aug 9 2022, 19:58

Hello!  

I am a buy-and-hold investor who is learning more about investing in notes.  I am interested in recommendations for online courses or books (or other sources of information) that people have found useful. 

I understand that notes is a business best learned by doing, but I am trying to lay a good foundation of knowledge as a starting point.

To date, I have read these books:

"Invest like a Bank" by Beaux Blast

" Little Green Book of Note Investing" by Fred Moskowitz

"Real Estate Note Investing" by Dave Van Horn

"Note Investing Made Easier" by Martin Saenz

"Invest in Debt" by Jimmy Napier

"Profiting from Non-performing Mortgage Notes" by Amed Hazel

I welcome any thoughts or recommendations that the group may have.   Thank you in advance. 

Best regards,

Charley

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Bateman
  • Investor
  • Baltimore County, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Baltimore County, MD
Replied Aug 10 2022, 04:24

@Charles Campbell Paper Profits by Josh Andrews is a good one. Excellent case studies. 

And I would certainly not promote my own content here, but it may be free and accessible via our website. Also, check out the (recently re-branded) Good Deeds Note Investing Podcast.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 10 2022, 06:12
Quote from @Charley Gates:

Hello!  

I am a buy-and-hold investor who is learning more about investing in notes.  I am interested in recommendations for online courses or books (or other sources of information) that people have found useful. 

I understand that notes is a business best learned by doing, but I am trying to lay a good foundation of knowledge as a starting point.

I welcome any thoughts or recommendations that the group may have.   Thank you in advance. 

Best regards,

Charley

Tom Henderson has the note calculator course and Bill Mencarow, from PaperSource, has some courses   Those are good programs to begin with  

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Aug 10 2022, 07:35
Quote from @Joe Daigle:

Hello!  

Best regards,

Charley

Tom Henderson has the note calculator course and Bill Mencarow, from PaperSource, has some courses   Those are good programs to begin with  

There are a ton of resources out there. Fred and Tracy Z have a good following, Dan Deppen does stuff on due diligence as well. There is an abundance of information on note investing out there. I do think that getting info from books gets you the 30,000 foot view, but you should look to join a group to get further education.

User Stats

Votes
Charley Gates
  • Investor
  • Meadville, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Meadville, PA
Replied Aug 10 2022, 18:42

Thank you to everyone for your input.  I appreciate it. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Nov 26 2022, 15:53

@Charley Gates

Curious - 3 months in - what have been biggest learning aha moments and where have you found best content ?

User Stats

Votes
Charley Gates
  • Investor
  • Meadville, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Meadville, PA
Replied Nov 28 2022, 16:02

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your message.  

Biggest aha moment:  realization that selling a partial is a way to recapitalize.  It reminds me of a cash-out refinance after the unleveraged purchase of real property.  

Best content:  books.  I am avid reader and there is a lot of great content out there. 

Best regards.

Charley

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 8 2024, 07:27
What about a In-Person Note School or Training Course? I like the interaction of in-person. Thanks in advance for personal experiences & recommendations! Jim

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Mar 8 2024, 10:20
Quote from @Jim Rice:
What about a In-Person Note School or Training Course? I like the interaction of in-person. Thanks in advance for personal experiences & recommendations! Jim

There are not that many that teach notes and its typically done virtually.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 26 2024, 11:10

Invest in Debt by Jimmy Napier got it all started for me, in the early '90s. Besides teaching about discounted cash flows, the man was a dealmaking genius. I went to a number of his conventions. Thanks, Jimmy (RIP).

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 29 2024, 16:06
Quote from @Joe Daigle:

Hello!  

Best regards,

Charley

Is Tom Henderson even functional any more? The links on his website to his newsletter archives are all dead, nor does the "Note Store" link work. The date on the currently advertised workshop is 2019.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Mar 29 2024, 16:23

@Alan McKendree

Happy to share with you what we are now offering for people looking to learn

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 15 2024, 05:04
Quote from @Alan McKendree:
Quote from @Joe Daigle:

Hello!  

Best regards,

Charley

Is Tom Henderson even functional any more? The links on his website to his newsletter archives are all dead, nor does the "Note Store" link work. The date on the currently advertised workshop is 2019.

Alan, I spoke with Tom a few weeks ago. He said he had done the last "Live" training that he was going to do. I don't know about the website but if you go to papersourceonline.com (Bill Mencarow's website). They have a lot of recordings & info from Tom. Hope this helps, Jim

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.