Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes

User Stats

Votes
Denise Evans
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Votes |
Judicial Foreclosure of Alabama tax lien (the new system)

Denise Evans
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Posted Mar 22 2024, 05:23

Do you know anybody who has successfully completed a judicial foreclosure lawsuit for an Alabama tax lien, under the new tax sales system?  I'm trying to create a list of problems people have encountered along the way, so others can avoid those problems. Once I have enough input from BP community and others, I'll post my FEP/S (Frequently Encountered Problems & Solutions) list in this thread.  You can reply off-thread via PM if you prefer.  MY FEP/s list will not include any names.

User Stats

Votes
Will Sifert
  • Investor
  • Covington, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Covington, LA
Replied Apr 6 2024, 22:13
Quote from @Denise Evans:

Do you know anybody who has successfully completed a judicial foreclosure lawsuit for an Alabama tax lien, under the new tax sales system?  I'm trying to create a list of problems people have encountered along the way, so others can avoid those problems. Once I have enough input from BP community and others, I'll post my FEP/S (Frequently Encountered Problems & Solutions) list in this thread.  You can reply off-thread via PM if you prefer.  MY FEP/s list will not include any names.

Thanks in advance Denise. You are a great resource of knowledge for anyone looking to invest in tax liens in Alabama.   Anytime the state makes drastic changes it will mix things up and take several cases and appeals to get things sorted out. Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 19 2024, 17:00

I am in the process of foreclosing on a property in Bessemer. The only thing I have had a problem with is that the owner has until the 25th of May to pay back taxes, but the official deed won’t be available until sometime in August. Why would it take 3 months for a deed to become available? 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Denise Evans
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Replied May 19 2024, 18:11

Jocelyn, when you say you are "in the process of foreclosing" do you mean you have filed a judicial foreclosure lawsuit to foreclose tax liens you own?  Or, do you mean you are waiting for your tax certificate to turn into a tax deed? It makes a huge difference to my answer.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 19 2024, 22:23

I am waiting on a tax deed from the state. What are my rights?