• Rental Property Investor
  • Arlington Heights, IL
Votes |
Software for notes

Peter Halliday
  • Arlington Heights, IL
Posted Apr 2 2024, 19:24

I’m on the edge of needing some way to manage my notes.  I looked and this hasn’t been talked about for several years.  I’m wondering what is rookie use and what do people recommend for management of the tasks that need to be done. Ideally it would have some ability to integrate with services and other vendors.  

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Apr 3 2024, 02:52
Quote from @Peter Halliday:

I’m on the edge of needing some way to manage my notes.  I looked and this hasn’t been talked about for several years.  I’m wondering what is rookie use and what do people recommend for management of the tasks that need to be done. Ideally it would have some ability to integrate with services and other vendors.  

https://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/loan-amortization-sc...

Free loan amortization tracker 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 3 2024, 05:55

Excel and Word.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Peter Halliday
  • Arlington Heights, IL
Votes |
  • Arlington Heights, IL
Replied Apr 3 2024, 06:01

Also, I use services and other vendors. So ideally software to manage the process would be idea.  Setup custom workflows, keep reminders, and contacts at a minimum. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 3 2024, 06:10
Quote from @Peter Halliday:

@Jamie Bateman used a podio based system. There is also the loan office by ABS network. They are the ones who also have the mortgage office which is what a lot of the servicers use but that is an overkill and way to expensive.

I also know some people have created flows withing clickup and other project management systems. 

User Stats

Votes
Dan Deppen
Pro Member
  • Erie, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Erie, CO
Replied Apr 3 2024, 07:16

I've customized Pipedrive to track assets, set reminders, track what needs to be done, set due dates, keep historical notes, etc. That's not really the intended use of Pipedrive, it's a CRM that I've kind of bastardized to make work for tracking notes. But it works well for me.

Also out of curiosity, what was the number of notes you hit when you felt like you needed a tool to manage them?

User Stats

Votes
Peter Halliday
  • Arlington Heights, IL
Votes |
  • Arlington Heights, IL
Replied Apr 3 2024, 08:05

@Dan Deppen. Great question that I should have included in my question. I feel that I’m at the precipice of this. Not quite there.  As I approach 15 active notes at one time it gets a bit more like spinning plates and seeing some negative effects.  Confusion and misremembering the history of a note.  Losing a contact or context or an important date.  Luckily for me it’s not situations where it’s had dire consequences. 

The note business ebbs and flows with the fluctuations of note volume.  I fell from 13 active notes to 10 and I have a bit of relief.  But want to be proactive.  I think I’ve struggled not focusing on the benefit but the cost part of the equation.  

maybe a good follow up for those that are considering what return people felt they got in n either time or money for their choice would be interesting. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 3 2024, 16:22

@Peter Halliday

Pipedrive is great too. Adam Adams recorded a video how to set it up long ago and it was a great blueprint to follow

User Stats

Votes
Peter Halliday
  • Arlington Heights, IL
Votes |
  • Arlington Heights, IL
Replied Apr 3 2024, 16:54

I watched the videos at one time.  I went back to YouTube the last day but I do t see them up any more. But “Adam Adam’s Pipedrive” might be not the best search in YouTube. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 3 2024, 17:33

@Peter Halliday

He closed it down unfortunately

User Stats

Votes
Dan Deppen
Pro Member
  • Erie, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Erie, CO
Replied Apr 4 2024, 07:18

It looks like he nuked his whole channel.

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Bolton
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Seatac, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Seatac, WA
Replied Apr 4 2024, 10:03

I've used Trello, Clickup, and spreadsheets/google drive.  I use Clickup now, and am planning on fleshing out something that can be shared.  I know of some folks who has used Clickup very similar to how Adam Adams used Pipedrive.

User Stats

Votes
Beth Johnson
  • Lender
  • Renton, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Renton, WA
Replied Apr 4 2024, 14:43

Check out LendingWise which has a lower monthly cost than most loan origination and management software. It has the ability to set up custom workflow, manage documents (including a doc portal for borrowers to upload), servicing management, auto-document generation, and email templating for streamlined communications with vendors like title and escrow, insurance agents, borrowers, and investors. 

Others have mentioned using ABS/The Mortgage Office but I would steer clear of them. Too high of a cost and no workflow management, horrible leadership and customer service, too. I had to abandon their origination software after spending 6 months and 5-figures on it. Not a good experience at all.

If you want others to compare, check out Baseline and The Mortgage Automator. I would not think you need to go this route unless you are managing more than 25-50 loans annually, though, due to the cost. I was up to about 45-50 before I stopped using spreadsheets and Office/Google.

User Stats

Votes
Joy Fuchs
  • Wholesaler
  • Fairview, NC
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Fairview, NC
Replied Apr 9 2024, 09:39

We also use Podio

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Sharum
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 16 2024, 05:54

I have been using Pipedrive since 2017. Followed a lot of Adam's suggestions.

Works very well. Allows you to build your process in pipelines with kanban card view.

We do some Private lending so this allows us to track loan progress, quality checkpoints, closing and post closing. Basically build your process into your note tracking.

Also great for tracking not investments.

Basically it is an easy to use database that can be viewed in multiple ways.

I am planning to migrate to Notion when I have some time. I think it is more cost effective and has the capability to put entire SOPs online. Will make it easier to scale and add VAs.