• Wholesaler
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
Tax Sale property in TN using a quit claim deed

Darryl Harvey
  • Wholesaler
  • Nashville, TN
Posted Aug 19 2015, 00:39

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the site here.  I have been investing in RE for about 10 years and have just gotten started with Tax deeds.  My question is this:

A property was sold for taxes just under a year ago and there is a 1 year right of redemption here.  This property was an estate and there are 15 heirs.  Just prior to the redemption period ending (2 days) I bought 2 of the heirs out with a quit claim deed and recorded it at the register of deeds.  I was going to pay the back taxes and one of the other family members paid it before I did.

With that said, I am concerned that my quit claim deeds may be worthless because I filed them prior to the property being redeemed.  Is this the case?  It was my belief that I would own 2/15 of the property at this time.  I have seen where some people think that purchasing quit claims and recording prior to the redemption means the quit claims actually convey no interest as the interest in the property was all conveyed to the original buyer at the time of sale a year prior, except for the right of redemption.

But if the property has since been redeemed, would I now have an interest?  i know it is a pretty technical question and I have asked my attorney about it, I wanted to see what the BP community had to say.  Thanks for your input!

Loading replies...