Votes
Chad Zetrouer
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
Tax Deed for vacant lot owned by Grandfather 25+ Years ago

Chad Zetrouer
  • Gainesville, FL
Posted Aug 8 2018, 16:45

Hi, I plan on eventually investing in local real estate where I live but am currently saving for my first house hack and stumbled on what might be a opportunity?

My Grandfather was a home builder long ago before he passed away. In the process he sold a vacant lot on the east side of town in a low income area for $3,000 to the owner of the house on the adjacent lot, who then used the lot as a yard even fencing it in and possibly building a driveway on it. (small possibility an addition to the house extends onto the lot)

Fast forward to today and since that time the home was apparently foreclosed by a bank and then passed around from one real estate company to another. As of today it is rented out and up for sale for $53,500.00 with photo's using this lot (the houses yard) as a selling point.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/404-SE-12th-Ter-Gainesville-FL-32641/42734496_zpid/

Then this morning my Mother was served paper that the vacant lot will be auctioned off in October and because she is a Trustee of my Grandfathers Estate and my Grandfather was the last to own the land, his estate can purchase the land for Taxes which is $4,000.00 before the auction.

I'm wondering if there's an opportunity here but at first glance it looks like a mess that's best avoided.

Loading replies...