• Poughkeepsie, NY
Votes |
Holding note - do you get tax advantages

Eric Hrlbock
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Poughkeepsie, NY
Posted Jul 19 2019, 18:14

Hello BP community,

I am selling some properties to spend a-little more time w family and get ready for my next big move. I was thinking of taking advantage of compound interest. I never heard or saw anything about tax advantages or disadvantages of holding note or paper on properties that you are selling.  

Can anyone share real life experience, was it beneficial or a bad idea.  Please share your experience or stories with hold note on a property 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hartzog
  • Lender
  • Redmond, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Redmond, WA
Replied Jul 19 2019, 21:30

Interest is regular income, so no tax advantage. Best to hold them in a self directed IRA. If you are selling with owner financing, that approach can help you spread the gain out over multiple years, so there can be advantage there.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 20 2019, 05:45

@Eric Hrlbock

As mentioned it’s ordinary income and there is no depreciation like holding real estate. Some people do get confused as the interest is only taxable not the principal (up to your original basis)

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Malecki#3 Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes Contributor
  • Investor
  • Kingston, WA
Votes |
Bob Malecki#3 Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes Contributor
  • Investor
  • Kingston, WA
Replied Jul 20 2019, 07:44

Technically if you purchase a non-performing note at a substantial discount to the upb then part of your principal income could be considered taxable gain. Of course consult with your own tax professional for and opinion.