Tax certificate property

1 Reply

I am in the process of buying a tax certificate from a real estate company in Birmingham AL. I am trying to find out how I can legally take possession of the property. There is currently someone living in the house and I'm assuming it is the current owner. I am still waiting for the certificate to come in it should be here in a few weeks. So I am trying to get all the information I can so I know what to do next.

so my questions are...

1. How do I go about taking possession of the property

2. Am I legally able to rent the property out after taking possession

3. After the 3yr time period and I receive the tax deed is it still possible to have a redemption be viled against the property

Originally posted by @Charles Richards :

I am in the process of buying a tax certificate from a real estate company in Birmingham AL. I am trying to find out how I can legally take possession of the property. There is currently someone living in the house and I'm assuming it is the current owner. I am still waiting for the certificate to come in it should be here in a few weeks. So I am trying to get all the information I can so I know what to do next.

so my questions are...

1. How do I go about taking possession of the property

2. Am I legally able to rent the property out after taking possession

3. After the 3yr time period and I receive the tax deed is it still possible to have a redemption be viled against the property

As soon as you become the owner of this property the current owner essentially becomes your tenant. You will need to go through the formal eviction process with them. I do not recommend trying this on your own. You need to bring in an attorney who is familar with the process to take care of this for you. Given that they were the former owner it could be even more complicated than your simple non payment of rent eviction so bring in the big guns.

P.S. 

If you're looking for more info on the various neighborhoods, tenant bases and expected pricing and rental rates in B-Ham take a look at The Ultimate Guide to Grading Birmingham Alabama Neighborhoods.