new to multifamily investments

8 Replies

Are there any multifamily investors in the Minneapolis area that are currently doing deals with 10+ unit buildings? I would like to meet investors in the area as well as learn how to get started in multifamily. Also not to be a bandwagoner, but what do people think about syndicating deals, seems like a good way to get started.

@Daniel Anshus welcome to BP.  There are several investors on here who work with 10+ unit buildings.  I personally am looking at a 14 unit that needs a major rehab.  If you are looking to meet investors I would recommend you attend the local meetups.  Can find them if you got to the network tab at the top and select events.

There are some local syndicators on here but I don't think it is a good way to get started.  As @Seth Ferguson mentioned you will need to build your experience first, not many people will trust you with their money until you have some experience.

@Seth Ferguson @John Woodrich Thank you for the responses! I definitely understand that syndicating is more ideal for investors that have some deals under their belts and some experience. I would love to meet up with investors such as yourselves to learn and offer any help I can contribute. I have looked into meetups both on BP and meetup.com, the only struggle is that there are not that many meetups right now. With that said please let me know if you or anybody you know would be interested in meeting for coffee or something. I look forward to getting to know other investors!

@Daniel Anshus Purchase and owner occupy a duplex. You can get low $ down, etc. Find one that is in a C+/B- neighborhood that qualifies for FHA financing (real estate taxes are not brutal). Avoid total rehabs---do cosmetic--sand/stain hardwood floors, paint, light fixtures. Find one with a vacant unit from day 1. Fix your unit first, then consider moving units and doing the other a few months later (subject to lease or moving that tenant). Find a best of breed duplex--No 7' ceilings, No 8' x 8' bedrooms, no peeling exterior paint, ideally double pane windows, etc. Look for 10 x 12 or 10 x 14 bedrooms and 8-9' ceilings, good stucco/brick, clean no/low moisture basement, average shingle roof, etc.

Oddly enough, I did almost exactly this except with a triplex. It's truly a solid strategy and if you buy right and can improve it over the years and it's in the way of growth you should also be able to accumulate some appreciation you can leverage. Obviously don't bet on appreciation, be sure the cashflow is strong, but the appreciation is a great bonus!

Originally posted by @Brad Schaeppi :

@Daniel Anshus Purchase and owner occupy a duplex. You can get low $ down, etc. Find one that is in a C+/B- neighborhood that qualifies for FHA financing (real estate taxes are not brutal). Avoid total rehabs---do cosmetic--sand/stain hardwood floors, paint, light fixtures. Find one with a vacant unit from day 1. Fix your unit first, then consider moving units and doing the other a few months later (subject to lease or moving that tenant). Find a best of breed duplex--No 7' ceilings, No 8' x 8' bedrooms, no peeling exterior paint, ideally double pane windows, etc. Look for 10 x 12 or 10 x 14 bedrooms and 8-9' ceilings, good stucco/brick, clean no/low moisture basement, average shingle roof, etc.

@Jordan Moorhead I would enjoy attending one of your meetings for various knowledge and also to get to know you and other investors that attend. 

@Brad Schaeppi I do plan on doing this exact house hack in the near future, but am also wanting to play in the big leagues. I would love to jump into multi-family without having to own a bunch of sfr first. I do understand that you must accumulate knowledge before jumping into investing but would appreciate if I could gain knowledge from mentors rather than learning the slow and painful way.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here