Minneapolis has made it easier to get the violation's data now

6 Replies

Minneapolis came up with a pretty cool Tableau dashboard back in September of last year. https://tableau.minneapolismn.... . It's a little slow loading, but it will load.

It lets you 'dial' in all of the violations, in really granular detail per property. Easy peasy to dial in things, and the download gives you a clean address list to import into your own Tableau install, and just 'list stack' against any other list(s) you might be collecting that has 'at least' an address. Video 10. Data Preparation – Joins and Unions https://public.tableau.com/en-... , makes this stupid simple. Hence, you can use the drop-down for rental license 'tiers' from the city Tableau dashboard, dial in the pain, and just load one of the sheets I posted a few days ago to match everything up against. It really is 'click the address column in the violations sheet, and click the column with the address in the landlord file' aaaand ♪presto♪: matched.

I dunno, I still think this is easier with PostgreSQL. Just load the list that you downloaded as a table into PostgreSQL, and just run a 'join' against the Assessor or landlord table that you would want to load in as well. Tableau is a bit of a resource hog on the CPU/RAM running joins... but it does make it just 'click-click=done' for stacking basically any list(s).

@Hadley Hartford Hornig  

'you weren't kidding on the slow load' - Riiight? It's swell they are trying to organize more data like that... But that's just too much for Tableau. The'map'tab that they included was neat too, in concept to visualize it all... but useless when using it.  

'are there more of these nifty tableaus that Minnesota offers?'- Not really that I know of, and I'm always looking. From city to city, they all seem to just provide static Open Data portals. What one city releases, the next one will not. I've made myself a bit of a pest to the various gov workers in the 7 county metro... 'so hey, I have this file from xyz city, and I want the same from you'... with mixed results. St.Paul is the worst.

Minneapolis is the best with being transparent with data though. I've come to have a semi-direct line into the data/records people, and some of them are huuUUge data geeks. One of them sent me a Monte Carlo simulation using Python and Jupyter Notebooks back in Nov, using a data set for housing and it was a total 'are you kidding me? You're using Jupyter Notebooks inhouse and you are looking at it like this...' (People in RE need to start familiarizing themselves with Jupyter Lab/Notebooks. Jupyter makes Excel look like the old abacus counting frames, it's just a data welding/cutting torch)

Under the surface of all of this? Good things are coming. With the mass upzones of the 2040 plan, the city is trying to find ways to track/record every bit of housing data (so they can granulize all the fee's and penalties they'll use to zap multifam owners in a more efficient way). Hence all of the experimenting with the fun Open Source tools like Jupyter.

What are you looking for specifically (if you can say)? I might be able to point you in a direction.

@Tim Swierczek Enjoy sir!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here