Votes
Tom Hertel
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
Zoning for B&B/Wedding Venue in St. Paul

Tom Hertel
  • Saint Paul, MN
Posted Oct 29 2017, 09:38

I came across a house in my neighborhood that would be an excellent B&B or wedding venue, but I was not sure if it would be legal to operate such an entity based given it's current zoning (R4). Frankly, I'm a bit confused how residential/commercial zoning works within the city limits of St. Paul. 

According to their website, R1-R4 lots are "one-family residential districts provide for an environment of predominantly low-density, one-family dwellings along with civic and institutional uses, public services and utilities that serve the residents in the districts. Because of their residential nature, these districts are not intended for more intensive uses such as small conference centers, private retreat centers and reception houses." This seems pretty straight forward, but what's the difference between R1 and R4?

Next I took a look at the University Club and the fact that it is designated RT2, or a "townhouse residential district (that) provides for two-, three-, and four-family and townhouse structures, along with civic and institutional uses, public services and utilities that serve residents in the district."

Based on this, it seems that a wedding venue doesn't actually need to be zoned as a business, but rather a townhouse that falls under the "public services and utilities that serve residents in the district" clause within the RT2 designation. Is that correct?

So, here are my questions:

- Does anyone have any experience with zoning variance within St. Paul? 

- Is it tough to change the zoning on a property? 

- Is the process drawn out? 

- Are there people within the city government that are instrumental in the process?

- What kind of zoning is needed to run a B&B/small hotel (if you aren't living in the property)?

Thanks

Loading replies...