Skip to content
Kansas City Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Matt R.
  • Blue Springs, MO
Votes |
Do Housing Authority of KCMO vouchers work in Independence?

Matt R.
  • Blue Springs, MO
Posted Nov 12 2020, 21:15

Hello all!

If a tenant has a housing choice voucher (Section 8) from the Housing Authority of Kansas City, Missouri, do they have to use that voucher on a property inside the KCMO city limits, or does it also work outside the KCMO city limits - like in Independence, Blue Springs, Raytown, etc?

I have Googled a little and found that there is a thing called "portability", where a tenant with a voucher from one housing authority can apply to have it transferred to another housing authority, if the tenant wants to move to the other housing authority's service area.  I can't find a definite statement, but I get the impression this might only be for relatively long-distance moves.

I know there is a separate housing agency for Independence, Independence Housing Authority.  I have found one reference that claims that IHA "serves all of Jackson County", but I don't know whether that means all of Jackson County, or "all of Jackson County outside of KCMO".

I tried to ask HAKC but the voicemail box I got was not accepting messages.  I sent them an email as well, but I thought I'd also ask here.

Thanks!

Matt R.

Loading replies...