Kansas City Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Zhuang Liang
Votes |
Any good market overview by zip code on Kansas City

Zhuang Liang
Posted Jul 4 2021, 08:07

I'm visiting Kansas City for a few days and would like to get a feel of the market. I drove around yesterday and am planning to see some open houses (which are short on supply). I'm wondering if anyone has a good overview of the market. 

User Stats

Votes
Lee Ripma
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Prairie Village, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Prairie Village, KS
Replied Jul 4 2021, 15:48

@Zhuang Liang

What are you looking for? I focus on B-class zip codes and then vet every property. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 5 2021, 06:29
Originally posted by @Zhuang Liang:

I'm visiting Kansas City for a few days and would like to get a feel of the market. I drove around yesterday and am planning to see some open houses (which are short on supply). I'm wondering if anyone has a good overview of the market. 

I have been watching the market for a long time! Kcmo looks like a great place to invest! Multiple reasons!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alex Olson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Replied Jul 5 2021, 10:07

What type of areas are you looking to invest in? Single family only? Some of KC is driven by neighborhoods and it is different block by block. From a suburb perspective I would classify most anything in Johnson County as class A. Lee's Summit and Liberty is also class A. North of the River is likely class A or B+. Raytown, Independence, Historic Northeast are class C. Midtown, Plaza is class B+ or A but is block by block. Grandview is a solid class C. Hope that helps!

Xchange CRE - 1031 Exchange RE Brokerage Logo

User Stats

Votes
Rachel Morrow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Jul 5 2021, 16:40

Hey Zhuang, I hope your trip is going great so far! 

I found this forum post by @Chris Dawson to be a very informative overview of the KC market investment zipcodes.

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jul 6 2021, 11:04

@Zhuang Liang it depends on what kind of data you are looking for., however, there is not going to be any single source that will give you a neatly bundled market analysis at the zip code level. What kind of information are you looking for? You're doing one of the best things you can do by driving the neighborhoods.

User Stats

Votes
Kim Tucker
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Jul 7 2021, 10:11

If still in town on the 13th, come out to MAREI (see the calendar here for zip code 66214) and TALK with local lenders, realtors, investors, property managers and get their feel - there are things that people can share when speaking with you that they really can't post in words on the internet.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ortiz
  • Attorney
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Sep 5 2021, 21:09

@Rachel Morrow The chart was very helpful. Thanks for posting the link. I know it’s several years old but it’s a good starting point for me to dig further into different neighborhoods.

User Stats

Votes
Rachel Morrow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Sep 6 2021, 16:59
Originally posted by @Robert Ortiz:

@Rachel Morrow The chart was very helpful. Thanks for posting the link. I know it’s several years old but it’s a good starting point for me to dig further into different neighborhoods.

Absolutely! Glad you found it, and good luck with your investments. Feel free to reach out with questions.

User Stats

Votes
Linh Lynne
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Oct 30 2021, 21:40

I have been looking for class A property in Johnson county and currently using a local agent/property manager. It's very competitive for turnkey properties and locations with great schools. Strategy is go in with cash and refi using delay financing if you don't want to pay 10%  over asking.

User Stats

Votes
Linh Lynne
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Oct 30 2021, 21:40

I have been looking for class A property in Johnson county and currently using a local agent/property manager. It's very competitive for turnkey properties. Strategy is go in with cash and refi using delay financing if you don't want to pay 10%  over asking.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Shea
  • Investor
  • Seattle WA, United States
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Seattle WA, United States
Replied Jan 18 2022, 21:03

@Linh Lynne I've been looking at A/B class properties as well. Hardly finds anything on the market under 250k.