• Saint Louis, MO
Votes |
Leaking basement on a historic duplex in St. Louis

Megan Greathouse
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Saint Louis, MO
Posted Mar 21 2018, 11:37

Hello! I'm hoping some of my fellow St. Louis investors with experience with older multi-family properties in the city might have some thoughts for me. I'm under contract on a duplex in the city (near Soulard) that was built in the early 1900s. The sellers fully remodeled, so most systems are new and the units look good.

I just got the inspection report back, and the only big concern noted is leaking in the basement. It was raining quite a bit the day of the inspection, and a lot of water was coming through the old stone foundation. At the very least, it will need tuckpointing and sealing of the interior basement walls... and the gutters will need a thorough cleaning and possibly some repairs. But it will also likely require better grading, etc. of the land around the structure to better direct water away from the building.

I'm working quickly to get a few estimates... or at least some thoughts... from contractors in the area. Just curious if anyone else has dealt with similar repairs for an old leaky basement? What all did it entail? How much did you spend in total? Trying to figure out if my repair budget will be enough to cover this before my inspection period is up on Friday. Thank you!

Loading replies...