• Realtor
  • Saint Louis, MO
Votes |
Switching Careers to full time Real Estate

Kyle Eckert
  • Realtor
  • Saint Louis, MO
Posted Nov 6 2018, 09:45

I two weeks ago I passed my license exams and submitted my paperwork to get my agent's license in Missouri.  I also put my notice in at my full time W2 job to pursue this new career.  It is a whole heck of a lot riskier, income wise, than the position I am leaving; however I have a passion for real estate and you have to do what you love to get the most out of life.

A bit about my transition:

What I'm leaving: I am leaving a 7 year career in research which no longer excites me, and possibly never did.  I worked at the same company the whole time, and drove roughly 86k miles to get there.  My growing family also needs me to have a more flexible schedule.

Where I am going: I, quite randomly, met the broker at InvestSTL and he offered me a position if I got my license.  His company specializes in investment properties in Saint Louis, so I think it is a good fit and where I would like to be.  The office is also 2.5 miles from my house, and it has always been on my short list of life goals to ride my bike to work.  I wont be able to do it every day for obvious reasons, but it should save me a bunch on gas and help me hit my health goals as well.

What I expect: Honestly, I have no flipping clue.  I have a rough idea, but this is so far out of my comfort zone I am probably way off.  I am excited that any effort I put towards real estate is now my job, since it was a side hustle previously.  I like that idea.

My goals:  Right now, I am just trying to learn the ropes so my goals are simple.  

1. Observe, assist, etc to learn what I am doing so I can be a useful agent to investors looking at St. Louis.

2. Talk to investors and see what they need from an agent.  It is obviously different than retail real estate, so I would like to understand how I could be the most helpful. 

3. I have a very analytical background and I hope to find ways to apply that knowledge and methodology in the real estate investing space.

So if you have any feedback, advice, or want to sit down and have a chat about what you are looking for in an agent or brokerage, I am looking to better understand that.

Loading replies...