• Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
Elkhorn Real Estate Tax Valuations

Max Fleissner
  • Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Posted Aug 22 2019, 12:14

Wanted to reach out to those who may own personal or investment properties in Elkhorn, NE to discuss the rising tax valuations, and options (if any) to fight them after unsuccessfully protesting them.  

Last year, my next door neighbor (zip 68022) received a 15% increase in his eval while mine jumped 5%.  His protest was denied, but in August 2018 he received mail that notified him that a lawsuit was in the works to sue the DC assessor for unrealistic valuation increases.  This lawsuit was successful, and apparently the judge ruled that increases over 12% were illegal (these are the words of my neighbor, as i could not find anything in the news about the lawsuit).  His valuation still went up but fell below this 12%

Fast forward to this year, and my home's valuation increased a whopping 19% from last year. I went through the protest process with the explanation that valuation increases are years behind, and this large jump is merely catching up from years past... It was difficult to argue, as sales in the neighborhood show that the area has risen around 20% over the last several years. So i get it if this is just something i'll have to expect.  However, i'd love to hear if there's others out there who know if there's anything we can do!

Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...