Las Vegas Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Josh Sharp
Votes |
Finder's fee in Nevada

Josh Sharp
Posted Jul 2 2019, 19:58

I'm a multifamily investor who is searching for a property to buy in Nevada. While searching I found an off-market property that does not meet my investment criteria. Since it is off-market I was thinking of selling the property information to another investor and charging a 2% finder's fee at closing. Is it legal to do that in Nevada without a license?

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied Jul 2 2019, 20:04

probably not..

User Stats

Votes
Kurt Brauner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 2 2019, 20:56

I would second that probably not... Check NRS 645.280

A work around would be to get the property under contract and assign the contract to the end buyer. 

• Broker NV (#B.1002508) and NV (#PM.0167425)

Metropolitan Real Estate Group Logo
Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 5% down loan options. Access the BEST deals in the US in one place. Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Josh Sharp
Votes |
Replied Jul 2 2019, 21:15
Originally posted by @Kurt Brauner:

I would second that probably not... Check NRS 645.280

A work around would be to get the property under contract and assign the contract to the end buyer. 

NRS 645.280 says it's illegal for a licensed broker or salesperson to pay a finder's fee to an unlicensed person. But what if both the person paying the finder's fee and the one receiving it are unlicensed?

User Stats

Votes
Marty True
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Replied Jul 2 2019, 22:41

In my experience it is illegal to receive a percentage of the sale of real estate without being licensed. You can however, receive a flat fee. But of course, I’m not an attorney so I am not quoting law. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 16 2021, 23:09

I was told be a few realtors that you cant unless you are a broker 

One told me its possible as a consultant 

But of course anyone in theory under the table without paperwork could give something to someone 

If its a lot of money one would have to pay the 40% tax if its an investment deal as an intermediary but not allowed to sell property

A lot of frustration around

But if I got someone to pay a friend to build a mansion would it be legal for him or my friend to pay a finder fee of 6 figures?