Skip to content
Las Vegas Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Omar Merced
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
Las Vegas ADUs (Accessory Dwelling Units aka granny flats)

Omar Merced
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Posted Jul 21 2020, 13:11

Hello Las Vegas landlords. I'm starting to install some ADUs on flips on some local properties. I am looking for anyone with experience. If you have had one installed or thinking about it I would love to hear how its been and what it has done for your cashflow, appreciation, and financing. Are they worth it and what was the cost you had? Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Rico Nasol
  • Investor
  • Henderson, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Henderson, NV
Replied Aug 29 2020, 17:06

Haven't done it, but was looking to do the same thing. I've read different things on zoning. How are those flips zoned? Are they  RS zoned?

User Stats

Votes
Omar Merced
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Aug 31 2020, 15:32

@Rico Nasol Well most people concentrate on flipping SFR and ADUs are allowed on almost all homes zoned residential as long as it has the proper set backs. I'm in the process of installing a couple right now and starting the permit process. Pretty straight forward. I'll be making a post with progress soon.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Maxion
  • San Francisco Ca
Votes |
  • San Francisco Ca
Replied Sep 7 2020, 19:44

Hi @Omar,

I specialize in prefab ADUs and work with many investors in the Bay Area. I can confidently say it is worth it for a Buy n Hold investment! Why? Building ADUs tends to be a much lower cost than buying another SFR, and it can provide just the same monthly cash flow like any other rental with impressive cap rates and returns.

However, if this will be a fix n flip project, there will be uncertainty because appraisers might not provide absolutes. Commonly they use sales comps analysis and look for similar homes with ADUs sold previously. Most likely, the area won’t have enough data for an appraiser to provide a fair comp analysis for a flip project, thus potentially leading to a loss in returns.

The new laws for CA beginning this year have made ADUs a popular topic in the real estate world because of the relaxed regulations. Undoubtedly it is a safe bet to build ADUs to hold on for 5-10 years as the market catches on to this trend.

As goes for financing, the most common alternatives that I’ve seen are as follows:

1. Refi/ Heloc- This has been the most preferred alternative since the historic low-interest rates we’ve seen in the market.
  2. Construction loan- May allow loans based on future projected value.
  3. Unsecured/ Hard Money- This is another alternative but typically with a much higher interest rate.

I hope this helps, and glad to discuss more!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 18 2021, 09:24

How did it go and were you able to refi and profit from the addition? 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Allison
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bay Area & ABQ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bay Area & ABQ
Replied Apr 7 2022, 16:08

@Omar Merced How did it go with your ADU project?

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Field
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas & British Columbia
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas & British Columbia
Replied Jul 7 2022, 11:58

Following up on this? How'd it go?