• Rental Property Investor
  • Queen, NYC
Votes |
Coop Management Ask For Unjustified Tenant Renewal Fee

David London
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Queen, NYC
Posted Aug 3 2020, 13:09

I recently received an email from the management company that manages the coop building where I owe 1 rental unit telling me that in order to renew the lease with my tenant I would have to pay a 'renewal fee' of $250. This is a completely unearned and unjustified fee. 

How would you go about fighting it? Is there any place one can complain? If this fee was not originally disclosed, is it legal? Below some more details.

This is in NYC and to be clear the management is hired by the coop board to manage the building and not by me (I self manage the unit). The tenant I placed there with the help of an agent last year is a great tenant and was approved with no issue. Original application fee included a full board package, credit check, and background check...and was $250. 

The renewal paperwork, on the other hand, is just one sheet of paper where me and the tenant are agreeing to renew for another term.

This IMO is a totally unjustified inflated fee from management who just decided to dip its hand into the pocket of others because it is in a position to do so. Practically $250 for hitting ctrl+save on a scanned document.

I had this unit for about 8 years and was never asked to pay anything when renewing the lease with my own tenants. Furthermore, this fee was not disclosed on the original application my tenant filled when he originally leased the place (Application fee and move deposits were the only fees disclosed).

Any advice appreciated.

Loading replies...