Skip to content
Charlotte Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Collver
Votes |
Travel nurse niche in Concord/Kannapolis?

Matthew Collver
Posted Apr 20 2021, 08:59

Hi, is anyone working in the travel nurse space in Cabarrus county?  If so, I'd love to connect and talk about what you're seeing in terms of year-round sustainability, nurse preferences, and other general startup questions.  I'm in one of the biggest travel nurse Facebook groups and have been collecting information that way.  I'm looking specifically at a rent-by-the-room model to account for high purchase prices and the upfront cost of furnishing the space.  Thanks and looking forward to connecting!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 21 2021, 20:30

Not sure if this helps but I have several vacation rental properties. The closest to your area is in Mooresville downtown area. Here's one of them listed on Airbnb: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3.... We can obviously work around them as needed. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Herting
  • Lender
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 22 2021, 06:10

Hi @Matthew Collver 

First I would like to clarify that I am no expert in the travel nursing field, I'm in lending, but this might be helpful. I've done some research and have a friend who is in this space and this is what I can provide you with. It’s important to know who actually rents out travel nurse housing. Sometimes, the agency rents the housing. Other times, the travel nurse rents the property. Typically, this choice is left to the travel nurse.

Overall, this is what travel nurses typically look for in housing:

1. Provide lease terms of 3 months or less
  2. Month-to-month lease terms are highly desirable
  3. Furnish your property
  4. Provide utilities, cable and WIFI. Roll the cost into the price.
  5. Price your property inline with normal market values.

Also, this website, hands down, provides the best information on travel nurses https://www.thegypsynurse.com/... 

Length of Stay

Travel nursing contracts typically last 13 weeks. Contracts can be both longer or shorter than 13 weeks. However, only a small percentage are over 13 weeks. Therefore, if you must lease your property for longer than that, then travel nursing is not the right market for you.

Contract Cancellations

Additionally, hospitals can cancel travel nursing contracts for any number of reasons. Moreover, travel nurses are away from home so they may come across any number of reasons to cancel a contract early. This is simply the nature of remote contract work.

Furnishings

The property should always be furnished down to the "forks" I like to say.

Utilities, Cable and WIFI

Travel nurses strongly prefer properties that provide utilities, cable and WIFI. Setting this up for them would be a hedache

Price

Travel nurses typically avoid properties that charge high premium prices for short-term stays but, you can certainly factor in the cost of furniture, utilities, cable and WIFI. Travel nurses expect to pay extra for those services.

Hope this was helpful!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Collver
Votes |
Replied Apr 22 2021, 07:05

@Jamel Hamka thank you, I will check it out!

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Collver
Votes |
Replied Apr 22 2021, 07:05

@Ryan Herting thank you for the informative response!  There are definitely some great details in there to build off of.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Herting
  • Lender
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 22 2021, 07:22

@Matthew Collver, glad I can help! 

User Stats

Votes
Kellyn Cameron
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Huntersville, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Huntersville, NC
Replied May 1 2021, 17:45

Hey Matthew, 

I am just west of you in Huntersville and am hoping to start house hacking by the room as well. My husband and I are closing on a new build townhouse this week and hope to have a travel nurse renting the space by June/July. What Facebook group are you a part of? Is it the Travel Nurse Housing-Furnished Finder page? I would love to connect/exchange information as well!

Kellyn

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Collver
Votes |
Replied May 2 2021, 18:43

Hi @Kellyn Cameron, here is the group I'm in.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/414305935358576/?ref=share

Also sending a dm to connect!

User Stats

Votes
Robin Evans
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Apr 11 2022, 09:18
Quote from @Kellyn Cameron:

Hey Matthew, 

I am just west of you in Huntersville and am hoping to start house hacking by the room as well. My husband and I are closing on a new build townhouse this week and hope to have a travel nurse renting the space by June/July. What Facebook group are you a part of? Is it the Travel Nurse Housing-Furnished Finder page? I would love to connect/exchange information as well!

Kellyn

@Kellyn Cameron  You may also list your property on this website https://www.travelnursehousing... We just talked to their customer service this morning and they are the same company with furnishedfinder.com So if you post on one site, it will show on the other site. They do charge $ 99 for one property for one year. Good luck! We are currently looking into this niche too. A question: is the lease agreement any different from regular lease? Does anybody have a sample lease just for renting to travel nurses? Thanks for any input! 

User Stats

Votes
Kellyn Cameron
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Huntersville, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Huntersville, NC
Replied Apr 11 2022, 19:32

@Robin Evans

Hi Robin, thanks for the tip! We used the lease generator through furnished finder. Since we we rent a room in our home, that let us create a lease specific to our situation and the state we live in. We also had an attorney look it over. 

User Stats

Votes
Claire Rosenberg
  • Property Manager
  • New York City
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • New York City
Replied Apr 11 2022, 19:49

Hi @Matthew Collver! I would recommend looking into Furnished Finder! This is a great platform for traveling nurses! Best of luck with everything!

User Stats

Votes
Robin Evans
Pro Member
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Apr 12 2022, 20:11
Quote from @Kellyn Cameron:

@Robin Evans

Hi Robin, thanks for the tip! We used the lease generator through furnished finder. Since we we rent a room in our home, that let us create a lease specific to our situation and the state we live in. We also had an attorney look it over. 

Thanks, Kellyn! 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Johnston
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Apr 18 2022, 13:32

Hey @Matthew Collver!  We own a few short term rentals ourselves, and switched to renting for travel nurses when pandemic hit.  

Most contracts are at least 3 months long, and usually great tenants.  Can use Air BNB to fill in the gaps between contracts if needed.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.
Account Closed
Votes |
Replied Nov 3 2022, 03:49
Quote from @Matthew Collver:

Hi, is anyone working in the travel nurse space in Cabarrus county?  If so, I'd love to connect and talk about what you're seeing in terms of year-round sustainability, nurse preferences, and other general startup questions.  I'm in one of the biggest travel nurse Facebook groups and have been collecting information that way.  I'm looking specifically at a rent-by-the-room model to account for high purchase prices and the upfront cost of furnishing the space.  Thanks and looking forward to connecting!

Hey @Matthew Collver! You Should try Transplant Housing, they are provides you short term and long term, both type of housing for travel nursing. So highly recommend you to try Transplant Housing.