• New to Real Estate
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
non-traditional provisional broker

Brian M.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Durham, NC
Posted Feb 20 2019, 10:14

Hi, all, I'm in the early stages of carving out my real estate investment activity in the Triangle (based in Durham) and would be grateful for some feedback.  After a goodly bit of self-study I determined the best next step for me was to earn my broker license, which I wrapped up last month.  I'm having some difficulty in finding a BIC that is willing to take me on as a PB.

I've attended a handful of TREIA events where I heard over and over again that it's become more challenging over the last few years to identify deals, and I want to fill that niche.  I'd like to build a legitimate wholesaling operation and expand my own personal projects along the way.  My intent in earning my license was to gain the ability to subscribe to TMLS for data and to preview listed homes (without relying on a broker) so that I could ensure the deals I'm building pass the giggle test with investors.

The vast majority of shops I've contacted - both large and boutique firms - aren't interested in taking on a provisional broker who's current interests are what I've described above and not necessarily building a retail sales pipeline.  I get it: Why take on a PB if they won't generate the volume of sales activity to make it worth their while.

That said, I'm wondering if there are BICs in the Bigger Pockets community that would be willing to allow such an affiliation for the express purposes of subscribing to TMLS and previewing listed properties.  Are there any brokers in the BP community that have such an arrangement and can shed some light on the best way to approach firms in the Triangle for a non-traditional provisional broker?

Meantime, I'm taking an aggressive approach to complete my post-license requirements so I can shake the provisional status as quickly as possible.  And I'm going to make a similar ask at the next TREIA meeting I attend.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Brian

Loading replies...