• New Zealand
Votes |
Neighborhoods in Greensboro

Huan Nguyen
  • Investor
  • New Zealand
Posted May 2 2020, 17:49

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to invest in Greensboro (small multifamily properties) and doing my research on the different neighborhoods. Just thought I'd share my thoughts from my research to get some feedback. I'd love to get some more insights from those familiar with the market. Feel free to point out where I'm completely wrong! I know just like in any other market, the fine details are super important, but very broadly:

• West and North West: best area of town. Higher income. Low vacancy in general. This is generally a more recently developed area, so property stock is newer. May be a bit more difficult to find those less new properties with good value add potential.
  • South West: Overall a decent area. Maybe a few rough pockets. I've heard the area around Four Seasons shopping mall may be rough. Curious what other rough areas are. Overall this maybe a good area to find value add rentals
  • South: Overall not as good as the other areas. Glenwood, Smith Homes, Oakgrove are rough, although I heard Glenwood may be improving? Further south there are a few more rough areas including Holden Farms, Greentree, The Pines, Woodlea Lakes.
  • East: The strip east of O'Henry Blv is rough, some have even said dangerous.
  • North East: Not too sure about this area. Looks like it could be a good area to target, especially the area around 1 o'clock.

I'd love to know what areas you would consider good for affordable B/C type housing?

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Cory Willett
  • New to Real Estate
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied May 2 2020, 20:32

Hi Huan,

I'm new to Bigger Pockets and real estate in general,  but I was born and raised in Greensboro. Sounds like you've really done your homework. You described the areas of the city pretty accurately. 

I grew up in northeast Greensboro. If I had to rate this area, I would probably give it a low B/B-,  but it's good mix of B and C type single family homes, with a few apartments and, maybe, some duplexes scattered throughout.  Go west and you'll be in nicer neighborhoods. Head north and east -- you'll be in more rural type areas.  Also ,the last phase of Greensboro's Urban Loop will run right through this area and is expected to be completed in late 2022. 

I don't know if this information is helpful in the slightest, but please reach out to me if I can be of assistance. I am trying to immerse myself into the real estate world, and I am greener than green, however Greensboro is home and I'm happy to help and to try to answer any questions you may have about the area. 

User Stats

Votes
Huan Nguyen
  • Investor
  • New Zealand
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Zealand
Replied May 2 2020, 23:26

@Cory Willett

Hi Cory, that's fantastic input. Thank you! Yeah looks like the area around the last segment of the Urban Loop has great potential. There were a couple of really big apartment transactions in that area recently too it looks like. Would love to connect with you!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Shchyokin
  • Investor
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied May 9 2020, 20:43

@Cory Willett what do you think of investing south of the tracks, immediatly south of UNCG. From what I understand they are expanding that way

User Stats

Votes
Cory Willett
  • New to Real Estate
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied Jul 11 2020, 14:09

@Daniel Shchyokin sorry I've been out of the loop for a while. UNCG continues to span. There's been a lot of development and a bunch of new student housing now stands where there used to be old run down houses and buildings. I think someone would stand a good chance at landing some good rentals and flips in that area.  What are your thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Shchyokin
  • Investor
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied Jul 13 2020, 09:41

What do you think the best strategy in that neighborhood? Im thinking either land asnd wait for someone to buy me out, or a house that doesnt need much work (which I think would be hard to find). The thing I see is that there just arent high enough comps to justify a BRRRR

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 30 2020, 09:34

@Daniel Shchyokin if you can door knock I'd target the area between Walker and Spring Garden.  The north neighborhood from Walker to Market is selling in the $250-400k range.  There a still a lot of opportunities south of Walker.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Coleman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied Aug 31 2020, 12:33

@Huan Nguyen Your assessment is fairly accurate. I currently own properties in the Glenwood, Spring Garden, Park Grove, etc. @Ryan Richmond has a point as well about the area between Walker and Spring Garden. Lindley Park is an exceptional rental area. Glenwood, Revolution Mill, and S Elm Eugene are three specific areas I'm actively buying in. The Greensboro rental market is set up for the long term. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Shchyokin
  • Investor
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied Sep 14 2020, 15:50

@Ryan, yep that is where my current deal is!

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Albers
  • Realtor
  • Greensboro
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Greensboro
Replied Sep 14 2020, 18:33

@Huan Nguyen

Honestly depends on the deal - work the numbers and if the profit margin is solid then most areas will work.

The 150k - 250k zone is moving fast. Older demographic is downsizing. Interest rates are low. Solid deals break through the high/low income areas.

Overall Guilford county and the Triad are trending up. They are connecting multiple highways - creating convenient commutes, and builders are going vertical constantly.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 15 2020, 05:01

@Daniel Shchyokin that's awesome.  We're in the same neighborhood.

User Stats

Votes
Ahmed Iqbal
  • Accountant
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Sep 24 2020, 07:44

@Jason Coleman - What your thoughts on Jamestown? Any thing around Scientific St?

Thanks,

Ahmed

User Stats

Votes
Jason Coleman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied Sep 24 2020, 11:15

@Ahmed Iqbal I like Jamestown. That area is trending upwards as well. Home prices around Scientific St currently average about 180-190k. Still plenty of upside even in this crazy market. Let me know if you need me to comp a specific address. 

User Stats

Votes
Tucker Cummings
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Sep 24 2020, 11:19

I live in Raleigh, invest in Fayetteville, but looking to expand into other NC markets. Was just doing some casual analysis on Greensboro today and came across this thread. Very good insights from everyone. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Ahmed Iqbal
  • Accountant
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Sep 24 2020, 11:34

Thank you @Jason Coleman.  I will send you a colleague request shortly.  I really appreciate how you respond to people in this forum and hopefully we can work in the future.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Albers
  • Realtor
  • Greensboro
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Greensboro
Replied Oct 1 2020, 19:24

@Huan Nguyen I am a Realtor and Property Manager here in Greensboro - let’s talk!

User Stats

Votes
Kunal Mishra
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Jersey City, NJ
Replied Dec 19 2020, 06:15

@Jeremy Albers

I am interested in expanding into the Greensboro market, in general around the TRIAD and would like to connect with you.

User Stats

Votes
David Lutz#3 Starting Out Contributor
  • Granada Hills, CA
Votes |
  • Granada Hills, CA
Replied Feb 6 2021, 22:33

What's the thought on high point? And the areas south and south west of the 40. How desirable are those areas?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 27 2022, 08:35

I am local investor in Winston n wanted to expand to GSO areas. Would like to connect with other investors & real estate agents to help me find reantal/multi family deals. 
Thanks 

Account Closed
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied Oct 20 2022, 08:33

Welcome to the area, Huan! I'm an investor in this area and have been close to the area for nearly a decade. I can say Greensboro as a whole is great place to live and we are seeing expansion into a lot of different parts of the city. 

@David Lutz had also mentioned High Point, this area tends to lag behind GB in terms of growth but that said, you can certainly still find great deals in this area.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Phillips
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied Oct 20 2022, 09:24
Quote from @Bhavin Jambusaria:

I am local investor in Winston n wanted to expand to GSO areas. Would like to connect with other investors & real estate agents to help me find reantal/multi family deals. 
Thanks 

There is an investor meetup in Greensboro next Wednesday. Great place to network. 

Wed, Oct 26, 6:00 pm, Pig Pounder Brewery

User Stats

Votes
Amna Malik
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 12 2022, 14:29
Quote from @Jeremy Albers:

@Huan Nguyen Nguyen I am a Realtor and Property Manager here in Greensboro - let’s talk!

I would like to connect.  Wholesaling in NC, deal-flow is good.  Please DM your contact