Votes |
Where should I house hack?

Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#4 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Posted Jan 2 2019, 09:06

Hi BP! I've been house hacking a SFH for 2-1/2 years now. I'm looking to house hack a MFH using a 203K loan to kick off my adventures into the BRRRR strategy. Long-term, I plan to hold the bulk of my portfolio in Youngstown. I work in Beachwood and live in University Heights.

I just got a new position with my company that will no longer require me to be at the office 5 days a week, so I'm considering locations outside of UH. I'm tired of being so far away from my family (Youngstown/Boardman) and boyfriend (Akron/Coventry). I'm also very sick of Cuyahoga County property taxes and the lack of accessibility on the east side. It takes a minimum of 15 minutes to get to ANY freeway from my house, and the traffic here sucks because there's a light at EVERY intersection. 

I love Kent, but supply appears limited. 

On the other hand, Cuyahoga County is littered with MFH. I do also enjoy the amenities around me such as downtown, Little Italy, Uni Circle, Cle Clinic, etc. And if the deal is worth it, I can deal with my current set-up for another year or so. I've talked to my boyfriend about our long-term plans, but we're still not sure if he'll move in with me or if we'll find a new place together after I finish my house hack and refi it. A lot of that will depend on where I buy.

I'd love your thoughts/feedback. Happy New Year!

Loading replies...