Votes |
HELOC on a primary at 95% LTV?

Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Posted Jan 14 2019, 10:21

I'm looking to do a HELOC on my primary residence before I turn it into a rental. I do intend to disclose my plans to whomever I work with to avoid being called due unexpectedly.

Is 90% LTV the max I'm going to find, or can anyone recommend places that will do 95%? So far, I've only found one place, Navy Federal Credit Union. I don't know if they'll work with me if I'm not a member, but I plan to reach out. If anyone is familiar with them, I'd love some feedback.

I did a HELOC on my investment property through Huntington and will probably use them again for this HELOC even though I didn't love working with them because I would like to work on building a relationship with one bank; however, I plan on working with a different branch this time, so hopefully that will result in a more positive experience. I'd go with a smaller local bank like most of BP recommends, but I can't find anyone else who will do HELOC's on investment properties at 85% LTV, so I guess I'm sticking with them for now.