• Edmond, OK
Votes |
How do loft bedrooms appraise?

Amanda Gragg
  • Investor
  • Edmond, OK
Posted Dec 28 2018, 20:57

Hey guys,

I am in the process of purchasing a duplex in Quail Creek in OKC.  Both sides have a loft that are very large.  I am wondering if these lofts should be considered bedrooms.

Side A has a knee wall (waist high wall), a window, a bathroom attached and walk in closet at the back of the bathroom.  The bathroom is large with a dedicated water closet, double sink and tub/shower combo.  It is the biggest bathroom in the house. The stairs lead up to the loft and at the top there is a door to a second bedroom that opens into the room.  This room also has a brick accent wall from the fireplace downstairs, but no fireplace.

Side B also has a loft accessed by the stairs and has a huge master bath with more space than the other side of the duplex.  It too has a walk in closet attached to the bathroom.  This side has a knee wall and windows,  but there is no other room upstairs.  This room has a working fireplace.

I am asking because an appraiser isn't considering them bedrooms even though they both have stairs and a window as egress.  Do they need doors to be considered a bedroom, or is it the partial wall that is my problem?  I'm also remodeling both bathrooms so I am trying to determine how far to go with the remodel.  Regardless of how the appraiser looks at it I think they will be used when rented as bedrooms.  I think it makes sense to make these bathrooms function well for 2 or more people, but if I am way off base I want to avoid waisting money on unnecessary amenities.  I am considering doing a refinance after the remodel so if there is a way to get these spaces considered as bedrooms I would love to get these updated to bedrooms.

I am planning on calling the appraiser as he is a nice guy who can probably answer some questions, but I was hoping to come to the call with as much insight as possible.

Thank you guys in advance for your advice!  

Amanda Gragg

Loading replies...