• Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tulsa Expected Appliances in Single Family Rental

Ryan Brown
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Jan 27 2022, 17:31

Can anyone provide any insight into what appliances are expected in a single family rental in the Tulsa market?  Refrigerator, stove, washer/dryer.  What have you found to be expected?  What most impacts speed to rent?  What facilitates maximizing rental rates?  What causes the most headaches?

Thanks in advance?

User Stats

Votes
BJ Harrington
  • Investor
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Jan 27 2022, 18:45

I have found that most expect a stove but it’s up in the air after that. I have never provided a washer/dryer and only provided a refrigerator in two instances. The more appliances the more potential issues.

The other factors all depend on what area of Tulsa you are in. In the trendy areas of town people are fine with small homes and less amenities because they are close to restaurants, bars, and shopping. Other areas that are more family friendly may call for the standard 3/4 bedroom with at least 2 baths. I know that probably doesn’t help a ton but Tulsa is a town with different pockets everywhere. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Brown
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 27 2022, 19:23

Got it.  Thanks for the input @BJ Harrington.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Kunick
  • Investor
  • Broken Arrow, OK
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Broken Arrow, OK
Replied Jan 27 2022, 20:21

@Ryan Brown, I've been doing rentals in Tulsa for many years.  I provide stove, dishwasher and microwave..  I do not provide refrigerator nor washer/dryer.  What I do is pretty typical as I have many friends who are landlords and we've compared notes.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Brown
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 27 2022, 20:33

Thanks @John Kunick for sharing your experience.  Did you run into issues with refrigerator and/or washer/dryer?  Why did you settle on stove/dishwasher/microwave?

User Stats

Votes
John Kunick
  • Investor
  • Broken Arrow, OK
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Broken Arrow, OK
Replied Jan 27 2022, 20:38

@Ryan Brown, when I got into rentals many years ago I did a survey of several landlords in terms of what was customary for this market (as you are doing now)..  Interestingly, I have purchased some homes that came with refrigerators (they were not rentals when I bought them)..  So, when I had tenants ready to move in, I offered to donate the fridge to them if they needed it with the understanding that they were liable for any repairs.  I think I had one or two that the tenants had their own, so  I think I either sold it or donated it to someone who needed it.  It's been several years ago so I forget the exact details.  Bottom line: not providing a fridge and washer/dryer is customary here..

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Brown
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 27 2022, 20:50

Got it.  Thanks again @John Kunick.

User Stats

Votes
Dahlia Khalaf
Votes |
Replied Jan 28 2022, 05:46

@Ryan Brown you know my stance on this, on sf I typically provide stove and dishwasher only. The more appliances you provide the more you are responsible for repairing in the future. And also, service techs for appliances are not the easiest to come by. 

User Stats

Votes
Clay O.
  • Investor
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Jan 28 2022, 07:07

I provide stove, dishwasher, fridge and if microwave is built in I provide that as well. My assumption is most don't have a fridge.. but I could be wrong. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Brown
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 28 2022, 11:48

Thanks @Dahlia Khalaf and @Clay O.!

User Stats

Votes
Cody Cunningham
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Feb 26 2022, 10:46

I know this was posted last month but just to piggyback here...

As far as a washer/dryer, I would never provide those in a SFR. Most renters tend to have their own units anyways. If you buy a property with a fridge in good condition, it could definitely expand the amount of interested renters in a property (as I've found it's a hit-or-miss whether a renter has a fridge or not).

In our leases, we make sure to write in that a fridge is provided but "not warrantied". Meaning if any repairs or replacement is needed down the line, it's the tenant's responsibility. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Slockers
  • Real Estate Entrepreneur
  • Owasso, OK
Votes |
  • Real Estate Entrepreneur
  • Owasso, OK
Replied Feb 22 2023, 04:39

For me, it depends on the area. I have some where I don't even provide a stove. I almost never provide a microwave (unless it's a nicer place and built-in). 

People have commented nicely on this post. I want to add the motivation is not only for potential maintenance issues, but these are items that people often don't keep clean and they get nasty quick (fridge, microwave, oven). 

Dishwashers, I provide if the house is equipped with a dishwasher. 

Laundry, I've never provided but if I did it would be on a "monthly  rental" type of basis. So maybe for $75/month I would install a washer/dryer.