• Morrisville, PA
Votes |
First Deal In the Philadelphia Area

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Morrisville, PA
Posted Feb 18 2019, 16:42

Hi All,

This is my first post and first deal on my own. I am 25 years old and my business partner and I had our offer accepted today for a duplex (2 beds, 1 bath each) in Northern Liberties, Philadelphia where we plan to house hack (live in the bottom unit and continue to rent out the top unit that is currently occupied). The asking price of the property is $505k and due to a few additional offers from other parties, we offered $510k with a 3% seller assist. My father is in construction and believes that there are significant renovations to be made to the exterior walls of the property along with interior updates to the kitchen / bathroom for both units. We have a few questions that we would love to have a discussion around...

1. How stringent should we be during the inspection process / how should we think about price negotiations during this process? (Understand, this is an open ended question but curious if we should walk away from the deal if seller doesn't budge during this)

2. What type of liability protection is best for a partnership like ours? We do not have an LLC as we would have had to put 20% down if we had bought it with a LLC attached. Can we still get an LLC after the property is purchased to protect us?

3. How should we view renovation schedule? Attack interior updates first to increase value of rents or fix exterior issues that could costs 40k or more?

4. Does anyone have recommendations for contractors/subcontractors in the Philadelphia area?

5. Are we missing anything that we should be thinking about during the closing process?

Thank you,

Kevin McCarthy

Loading replies...