• Investor
  • Littleton, MA
Votes |
Eviction of Tenants in PA

Jennifer Pletcher
  • Investor
  • Littleton, MA
Posted Jan 8 2017, 18:55

Question.  We have an inherited tenant from a property we closed on in early December.  The day we took over ownership, we served the tenants a notice that we are rehabbing the property and were giving them a 30 day notice.  They don't have a contract (I got nothing from the old owner - they never had a contract with these folks).  They have literally destroyed the property before I took over.  Holes in the walls and ceilings.  Bathroom is disgusting, carpets disgusting.  Trash everywhere.  Basement loaded with stuff to the point you can't even get in it.....on and on.  We discovered a rat problem and have been trying to solve it unsuccessfully becuase of the condition of this place.  Our exterminator is on the Health Board and said the house is basically unihabitable and that we really need to get the tenants out to solve the problem.

I have been in contact with these tenants.  They acknowledged the receipt of the letter about leaving on the 6th.  I served another reminder letter over the Christmas break, and they acknowledged that one as well and said they would be out on the 6th.  THEN - of course - on the 6th I get a text from them that they just couldn't leave now, they needed more time.  I explained that I was sorry, but we really needed to get the property vacated so that we could deal with the rat problem and rehab the property.  They have had 30 days.  I gave them the weekend, and told them I would be by for the keys tomorrow (Monday) by end of day.

Tonight I get a text from them saying they have keys to a new place, but they cannot be out any time soon and I would have to take them to court to get them out.  Sigh.  I live in Massachusetts, but I do have a Real Estate attorney and property manager in the town where this property is.  I REALLY don't want to have to go this route.  Are there any other options?

Thanks

Loading replies...