Does anyone have experience heating a converted attic?

1 Reply | Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I have a 3 story duplex with central heat but the bedrooms on  the third floor (which is converted attic space) don't get adequate heat. One guy told me I needed a new furnace, another said I have to use window units. A third told me baseboard heaters won't do much to help but Mini splits are the answer (which also give A/C) but cost over $12k! I looked into PTAC units but the install cost is extensive for the labor. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. The duplex is in Mt Washington. I want to do the right thing for the tenants without breaking the bank.

Originally posted by @Michelle Planessi :

I have a 3 story duplex with central heat but the bedrooms on  the third floor (which is converted attic space) don't get adequate heat. One guy told me I needed a new furnace, another said I have to use window units. A third told me baseboard heaters won't do much to help but Mini splits are the answer (which also give A/C) but cost over $12k! I looked into PTAC units but the install cost is extensive for the labor. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. The duplex is in Mt Washington. I want to do the right thing for the tenants without breaking the bank.

A lot depends on how cold it gets in the winter and teh construction of the property. Adding carpet, Insulation and double windows panes do a lot to keep a space warm without adding extra heat source. Sometimes you can add a run on a heat duct to give the extra boost of warm air. I've installed baseboard heaters and for my application they worked fine.  Just install them where the curtains don't cover them and block the heat or potentially start a fire. They are in very common use. Talk to the guys at ACE, Lowes or Home Depot. They will give you the straight scoop without overcharging.