• Real Estate Professional
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Checklist for Property Issues Before Putting in Offer

Mike Calabrese
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Posted Sep 6 2018, 19:09

Does anyone have any good resources for an initial screening list of things to check for structurally or other issues a home inspector should find?

The reason I ask is I have had 2 separate offers accepted only to fail during an inspection. These were catastrophic failures where the cost to fix it was worth more than the house. This caused me to back out of the offers. Every time I see these failures I learn more about what to look for but I still lack experience. Some type of checklist or resource with what to look for would be tremendously helpful.  

One was due to foundation issues. The other was due to a plethora of critical issues.

I would always use a home inspector but I feel like I need to be a better first filter as to not waste mine or other people's time chasing after properties that are in disrepair. 

The price range for properties I am looking at is 80,000 - 120,000. I understand a lot of these homes are 100 years old in Pittsburgh and there are going to be something wrong with them. However, I am looking to be able to identify the catastrophic issues and avoid them.  

So does anyone know of any good resources? 

Loading replies...