Pittsburgh Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Adam Ashkenazi
Votes |
invest in Pittsburgh

Adam Ashkenazi
Posted Nov 11 2021, 10:11
Hi dear friends, I intend to invest in Pittsburgh, I would appreciate guidance on which zip code to focus on. I prefer investing in a single family. Of course I would be happy to get more recommendations and insights. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
David Coleman
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Nov 11 2021, 11:30

You lookin’ for cash flow or appreciation?

User Stats

Votes
Adam Ashkenazi
Votes |
Replied Nov 11 2021, 11:40

cash flow

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Taggart
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Nov 12 2021, 12:13

@Adam Ashkenazi hard to go by zip codes here. You can have A neighborhoods in the same zip as D neighborhoods. Anywhere can work really as far as areas goes. Are you looking for something turnkey or wanting to go the BRRRR route?

• Real Estate Agent PA (#RS340668)

DHRE- The Jeremy Taggart Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jayda Chi
  • New to Real Estate
  • New York
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • New York
Replied Nov 17 2021, 12:13

@Jeremy Taggart wanted to tag along on this thread. We have an investment property ( 2 units) in Pittsburgh North side (Mexican War Street). We bought it 4 years ago intending to move there one day ( rent out one unit and live in one). However, it hasn't happen and will most likely not happen. We have decided to rent out both units to get some pretty decent cash flow. We are looking to buy another investment property with cash flow either in the city or outside of the city. Any guidance? 

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Taggart
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Nov 17 2021, 13:21

@Jayda Chi Love the War Streets. One of my favorite neighborhoods. Tough to cash flow there anymore though now that prices have gone up so much in the neighborhood, but plenty of other options. 

I tend to favor B-/C+ class areas for cash flow while still being able to get decent tenants. Trying to focus on the nicer sections of those areas. Carrick, Swissvale, Homestead, Brighton Heights, Crafton Heights, Carnegie, Troy Hill, Coraopolis, Millvale, Etna, to name some that might work. Not an exhaustive list. So hard to generalize entire neighborhoods here though with it being very street by street in a lot of them. 

You can also go out into the surrounding counties to get even better cash flow from day 1 but might not see quite as much appreciation as you would closer to the city. Mix of both can always be good.  

• Real Estate Agent PA (#RS340668)

DHRE- The Jeremy Taggart Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jayda Chi
  • New to Real Estate
  • New York
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • New York
Replied Nov 17 2021, 18:44

@Jeremy Taggart yeah we would love to buy another one in Mexican War Streets but can't find any listings that fit our needs. How do you classify B-/C+ neighborhoods? What is the benchmark? What class do you consider War Streets then? Since I am a new to REI I get confused with people talking about class of a neighborhood.

Thank you for the list of the neighborhoods. These are exactly the neighborhoods that I am interested in. But, I am also interested in neighborhoods that are already on everyone's radar - Bloomfield, Oakland, Garfield, Mt. Washington and Garfield. What is your thoughts on these neighborhoods? Again, thank you so much for your time in answering my questions. 

User Stats

Votes
Elise Bickel
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cranberry Twp
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cranberry Twp
Replied Nov 18 2021, 12:55

Congrats on beginning your journey investing in Pittsburgh! I own a real estate brokerage as well am an investor myself. Right now we are seeing a lot of investors trying to cash in on the market by selling at pretty high prices and with the low inventory things are still going. I agree with Jeremy. Best areas are B and C neighborhoods for cash flow. I've seen some really good deals and numbers in Carrick, Sharpsburg, Millvale, Brentwood, Brookline, Beechview, Overbrook, etc. I absolutely suggest using 2-3 sources to double check rent values as those numbers are changing a lot too.

Most of my investors consider Mexican War Streets, Deutschtown, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, etc to be A-/B+ areas. I do think it's harder to get good cash flow in those areas due to the high demand but still worth keeping an eye out!

User Stats

Votes
Joe C.
  • New to Real Estate
  • New England
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • New England
Replied Mar 15 2022, 18:39

Thinking about buying in Pittsburgh but am not familiar with the area. I found a lot of condos for lack of a better term reasonably priced in the $135k-$250k range in the heart of the city. Found some SFM and MF in near by neighborhoods that were going for a lot more than the City Condos. I saw that the condos were sitting for awhile and had several price drops. They looking stunning. They are cheap. What am I missing here? Why are they not selling or renting out well?   Thanks for your help.

User Stats

Votes
Dean Dinell
  • Property Manager
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Mar 16 2022, 06:01

Hi Joe! Alot of properties in Pittsburgh vary from block to block. What seems like a good deal could be a disaster. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about a particular block or neighborhood. My team and I manage over 500 units in Pittsburgh and surrounding areas, and we'd be happy to get eyes on a potential purchase for you. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 27 2022, 00:43

Hi Dean! can i ask you what do you think about neighborhoods like south side flats/slops, carson, mount oliver and bellevue?

I'm looking for appreciation.

thanks,

User Stats

Votes
Sam Schaefer
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Mar 28 2022, 09:22

Hi @Leon Blyacher !

I love Bellevue for appreciation and cashflow - it seems to be on an upward swing, but early enough in the swing that you should be able to grab a good amount of appreciation.

From what I have heard, crime has gone up a good bit in Southside Flats - it's more of a party scene, so that's just something to consider with tenants. The plus side is that properties are relatively cost effective and cashflow decently. Appreciation may be decent because there are some really nice new properties in the Flats and the Slopes already. With Mount Oliver, just be aware that it is not part of City of Pittsburgh and the taxes are relatively high. I know people that invest in the south side of the city and are happy with their investments (more so in Carrick than Southside Slopes or Flats), but I am far more familiar with the north side of the city myself.

I'm happy to connect further if it's helpful :)

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 31 2022, 20:39

Hi Sam Sam Schaefer
Thank you for your response. It was really helpful. Are you an investor or realtor or just leave in Pittsburgh :)?

After a little research I found that Millvale and Reserve Township are pretty good places to invest in. Am I right?

@Sam Schaefer

User Stats

Votes
Dean Dinell
  • Property Manager
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Apr 1 2022, 05:38
Quote from @Leon Blyacher:

Hi Dean! can i ask you what do you think about neighborhoods like south side flats/slops, carson, mount oliver and bellevue?

I'm looking for appreciation.

thanks,

We have a great deal of success on the South Side, although demand seems to be cyclical with local college students. We're getting excellent rents there too. Investors seem to have luck finding properties in need of light cosmetic improvements that help raise the value of the property. I'd say the same for Bellevue as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Sam Schaefer
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Apr 4 2022, 15:36

Hi @Leon Blyacher !

I am from and currently live in Pittsburgh. I am also an investor with a real estate license (I don't actively look for clients as a realtor but am happy to help friends and family if they need me).

I'd agree with that. You should see decent appreciation in Millvale and Reserve. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Berlay
  • Ogden, UT
Votes |
  • Ogden, UT
Replied Apr 13 2022, 06:20

subd

User Stats

Votes
Ali Powell
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jan 1 2023, 14:37

My wife and I have just started researching (and will be taking action) on the Pittsburgh market for an investment property (SFR, passes the 1%/50%, and can generate at least $200/door positive cash flow) in 2023. We are looking for any insights, neighborhood perspectives, or team recommendations for the Pittsburgh area. Welcome the opportunity to connect/network on this forum.

looking forward to the journey.

User Stats

Votes
Gary Swank
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jan 5 2023, 11:58
Quote from @Ali Powell:

My wife and I have just started researching (and will be taking action) on the Pittsburgh market for an investment property (SFR, passes the 1%/50%, and can generate at least $200/door positive cash flow) in 2023. We are looking for any insights, neighborhood perspectives, or team recommendations for the Pittsburgh area. Welcome the opportunity to connect/network on this forum.

looking forward to the journey.

Pittsburgh has a lot to offer investors. The buy-in is often better than other more saturated markets. While it had been a medical town for many years, it's fastly becoming a huge tech hub. That translates into more and more people moving to the area looking for housing of all sorts. The trick is to understand the neighborhoods as that can change dramatically within a very short distance. I've lived here my whole life and know the area very well.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 10 2023, 13:13
Hello all,

I am a new out of state investor (from Florida) looking to learn more about and invest in Pittsburgh. It came on my radar as a potentially good place to be because of its relatively low entry point and decent rents in a good sized city with lots to offer and lower crime than many other cities. I am happy to connect with anyone who works with investors in the area, and hope to visit very shortly as well.