Columbia Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Casey Ratlief
Votes |
Columbia, SC Market?

Casey Ratlief
Posted Mar 23 2021, 19:58

Been looking into the Columbia market and it seems attractive. But I have read conflicting reports about its future prospects.

I’ve seen reports highlighting its population growth potential: http://www.thestate.com/news/l...

And I’ve seen reports throwing cold water on their growth prospects: https://www.postandcourier.com...

Anyone have experience there?  what are you thinking about this market long term?

User Stats

Votes
Will Gaston
Pro Member
#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Columbia, SC
Replied Mar 24 2021, 08:46

@Casey Ratlief Columbia and the surrounding areas (Lexington, Cayce, West Columbia, ect) are solid for cash flow but I'd recommend looking elsewhere if you want strong appreciation. Property taxes are high but it's not too hard to price that in if you buy right.

User Stats

Votes
Casey Ratlief
Votes |
Replied Mar 24 2021, 09:19

Will - thank you! That's what I am seeing as well...the property taxes are something that make me think twice.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jessica Haleck
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hawaii
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hawaii
Replied Mar 24 2021, 09:39

@Casey Ratlief the property taxes are a deal breaker most times, i haven’t found one on the mls yet that would bring in comfortable returns after property taxes.

User Stats

Votes
Jackson Babcock
  • Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Mar 24 2021, 10:44

@Casey Ratlief

Casey I lived in the Columbia area for 37 years.  It leaves a lot to be desired compared to other nearby MSA's.  It think it really depends on what your investing in and your long term plan.  If I can help with any specific area don't hesitate to reach out.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Long
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
  • Columbia, SC
Replied Mar 24 2021, 18:58

I think future appreciation in the Columbia area is not as high as other areas (especially where the current values sit today), but I have not had issues finding properties that cash flow comfortably, even with the high property taxes. You just have to take them into account before submitting an offer. There is no substitute for knowing and sticking to your numbers. I bought 4 properties last year off of the MLS that all meet/exceed the 1% rule and used traditional financing.

User Stats

Votes
Casey Ratlief
Votes |
Replied Mar 24 2021, 19:01

All - this is super helpful. Really appreciate you lending your knowledge!

User Stats

Votes
James Smith
  • Columbia SC (columbia, sc)
Votes |
  • Columbia SC (columbia, sc)
Replied Jun 14 2021, 18:38

@Jackson Babcock, do you feel like there is greater growth potential in Rosewood area? Noticed decent school districts, although slightly higher crime in a few of the areas. Interested to hear your perspective.

Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Khanh Nguyen
  • Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Jan 23 2022, 22:08

Does anyone have any knowledge on whether Columbia with cut its property taxes. I’m a first time OOS investor and decided to dip my toes in SC. With todays markets across many states, SC property vs rent vs area seemed to make most sense for me. There are still opportunities to find properties that meet the 1% rule around here and cash flow even with the high taxes.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Shannon
Pro Member
  • Savannah, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Savannah, GA
Replied Jan 25 2022, 06:41

South Carolina is an amazing state to invest.  There are properties that on the coast that cash flow extremely well and You can buy properties on the coast for massive equity and or short term rentals

User Stats

Votes
Pete Widell
  • Johnston, SC
Votes |
  • Johnston, SC
Replied Mar 30 2022, 18:41

Lexington County is an area seeing huge growth. It is building down towards Batesburg- Leesville which is pretty affordable now. Also, out toward Cayce/ Red Bank.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 30 2022, 20:10

Don't let the fear of taxes keep you from making money

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 4 2022, 11:26

Whats a good way to find fix and flip opportunities near Gilbert, want to keep my fiest flip local. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 1 2022, 11:27

Hello I live in Charlotte NC. But thinking of investing in Columbia SC. I’m looking for a state with high upswing

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 1 2022, 14:09
Quote from @Howard Soones:

Hello I live in Charlotte NC. But thinking of investing in Columbia SC. I’m looking for a state with high upswing

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 1 2022, 14:53

Seems like a really tough market, at least for entry level. I looked at a few for LTR where it seemed like the 1% rule could work but the listings kept disappearing. The realtor I talked to said that the amount of institutional investment was through the roof, she had just closed a deal with an investor group out of NYC for several dozen units. I realized I was probably out of my league and moved on. 

Rock Hill looks a good growth market too. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 1 2022, 14:59

What’s a good buying price that makes sense because of the high taxes 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew R. Lucas
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
  • Columbia, SC
Replied May 2 2022, 05:16
Quote from @David Robinson:

Whats a good way to find fix and flip opportunities near Gilbert, want to keep my fiest flip local. 

@David Robinson You want to network with wholesalers and realtors that can bring you deals. REI Live Columbia has a meetup coming tomorrow. https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

You could try searching this site as well for deals.  SCDiscountDeals.com

User Stats

Votes
Khanh Nguyen
  • Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Jul 9 2022, 21:22
Quote from @Howard Soones:

What’s a good buying price that makes sense because of the high taxes 

I only  have 1 property in Columbia, SC but it hits the 1% rule. Purchase price 136500 and rents for 1399. I like to try to stay around the 1% rule in Columbia which I think is very feasible.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 10 2022, 17:23

If I can get $1,195 rent and offer for $102,000, is that an attractive deal? The taxes and regime fee approach 45%. Is that an unattractive metric?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew R. Lucas
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
  • Columbia, SC
Replied Jul 11 2022, 06:44
Quote from @Jim Bob:

If I can get $1,195 rent and offer for $102,000, is that an attractive deal? The taxes and regime fee approach 45%. Is that an unattractive metric?

That is a fine deal.  UNLESS, you have a regime or hoa fee that reduces that 1195 net rent amount to below $1,100 a month.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 11 2022, 06:59

Thanks for the reply. It seems I don't understand the 1% plan. I thought it was based on gross, not net, rent. HOA is $434, so net would be $761.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 7 2022, 19:50

Great topic! @Casey Ratlief, did you end up investing in Columbia, SC?  That's where I'm at right now.  If so, why or why not?

Do any others who posted on this thread have any thoughts about Columbia?

I noticed there are more renters than homeowners.

It checks off my population growth checkbox.  However, Charleston seems to have more charm.

I like the affordability as well.

Would love to hear your insights!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 12 2023, 12:06

Can someone refresh my memory on the tax hike amount (is it a percent?) for OOS investors? 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Hutchinson
  • Lender
  • Fort Mill, SCinstal
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Fort Mill, SCinstal
Replied Apr 13 2023, 16:43
Quote from @Casey Ratlief:

Been looking into the Columbia market and it seems attractive. But I have read conflicting reports about its future prospects.

I’ve seen reports highlighting its population growth potential: http://www.thestate.com/news/l...

And I’ve seen reports throwing cold water on their growth prospects: https://www.postandcourier.com...

Anyone have experience there?  what are you thinking about this market long term?

I look at it as a stable, secure market.  USC keeps it relevant and it is a cross roads in the state, so I don't see it going down.   If I were looking there, I would be in class B-C properties and not A.   My concern is upside growth and the taxes on investment properties.   I personally invest in NC, not SC, but Columbia would be very stable in my view.  Here is the current outlook.    Good luck and reach out if I can help as I am in Fort Mill, SC.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew R. Lucas
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
  • Columbia, SC
Replied Apr 14 2023, 05:45
Quote from @Lauren Keenan:

Can someone refresh my memory on the tax hike amount (is it a percent?) for OOS investors? 

I made a video to help people understand the tax implications of investment properties.