• Contractor
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
New Property Management Company

Tommy Lamar
  • Contractor
  • Charleston, SC
Posted Dec 6 2016, 12:15

I am brand new to BiggerPockets and trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can here. I've found everything and everyone to be extremely helpful and full of beneficial information. Any specific advice or conversation is greatly appreciated.

I am looking to start my own property management company here in Charleston, SC. I have a strong financial/accounting background and currently work for a CPA firm. I spent extensive time working with a PM client and setting up the structure of their accounting system.  The PM company was using Quickbooks/excel to track their PM business, but eventually outgrew this system and switched to Appfolio. It got to the point where the owner had no idea if rent/owner/commission was paid or not - a complete disaster. I worked side by side with the Appfolio transition team, and we eventually got the business owner back on track. From there - I was in charge of monthly reconciliations and cleaning up the mess that the administrator had made throughout the month.

So, at this point, I've developed a great relationship with the PM owner as a great resource who is fully willing to help (no competition here as the owner lives in a different state), and I have extensive experience with the Appfolio platform.  My next step is to get licensed here in SC as a Property Manager.  From the research I have done it looks like all I need to do is take a 30hr course, pass a test, and pay a licensing fee. 

What I am looking for is any advice or incite, strategic advertising, dangers/things to avoid, and mutually beneficial relationships.  I am currently still working full time - so I will be working this as a side-gig until it can support a full salary on its own.  The ultimate goal is to provide sufficient cash flow as a salary, as well as, opening doors to other real estate opportunities down the road. 

Looking forward to learning from others and willing to help others with my Appfolio knowledge if needed.

Thanks

Loading replies...