• Realtor
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Wanting to learn more about the area & find professionals to help

Sarah Young
  • Realtor
  • Charleston, SC
Posted Feb 26 2017, 09:07

My husband and I have decided that its time to make our dreams happen.  We've always wanted to live on the east coast, particularly the Carolinas. We've done our research, and have decided to pursue Charleston in the very near future. We currently live in North Dakota, and will hold our two rentals here, as both of them cash flow. 

My husband is looking for a job that will sustain our family of 6 while we continue investing on the side. He has a diverse background in the USMC, owning a construction company in CA for a few years, and then spent the last 5 years here in North Dakota, working in management for an oil company. He is a great leader and skilled tradesman.

I have my ND real estate license, but have been inactive while we decide where we will be relocating to.  I held my CA real estate license and practiced for about a year before having children. I currently homeschool our four kids, while also managing our two rental properties. We hope to add more rentals to our portfolio going forward, with our long-term goal being to live off the passive income our rentals provide, while having fun flipping properties together (we love doing that!). Just call us "Chip and JoAnna". ;) 

My questions for you BP people are: 

1) Anyone looking for an awesome Project Manager in their construction company? Or know someone who is? The biggest hurdle for us at this point is securing a job for my husband.  We have just begun searching in the last few days, so I'm hopeful that something will materialize eventually. He would be an asset to any construction company or investor who needs a skilled tradesman. He doesn't have his SC contractors license, but plans to get it ASAP. 

2) What is the North Charleston area like? We would like to buy a duplex and live in one unit while renting out the other, and most of what I'm seeing available online is in North Charleston.  With four young children, I do want to be in a safe neighborhood.  We've been pre-approved for $300,000 purchase (although, we would like to keep it around $200,000). What do you see as options as far as affordable, but safe neighborhoods to buy duplexes in? Anyone have any wholesale properties that need rehabbing?  We would love to find a fixer-upper to live in while we add some sweat equity. 

3) We would love to connect with a real estate agent who works with investors (I've seen a couple of you around here).  I also will be getting my SC real estate license, so would be interested in hearing what you like/don't like about your brokerage company, if you work for one. I'm also interested in working part time as a property manager, as I love doing that, and find it a great job to do from home while I homeschool my children.

TIA for your help and advice! I look forward to connecting with some of you when we get to SC! 

Loading replies...