Skip to content
Charleston Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes

Offer accepted on our first house hack property in Mount Plesant

Danielle Fraser
Posted Apr 3 2020, 18:53

Hi all,

I've been reading for a while and hope I have learned a lot over the past couple years. We are finally in the position to buy our first house in an area I really love. We have a house under contract and I'm quite happy. Its about 60K under the last 4 houses which sold in the neighborhood and also lowest price per square ft. Of course that does not come without downsides. Roof is original (1999) and the AC is 10 years old according to the disclosure, but has no serial or mfg-number. The air handler is from Carrier and still original. As is the water heater.  Of course we have a 1 year home warranty since also the kitchen appliances are about 5-10 years old. Inspection was today and he confirmed everything looks fine besides the 3 before mentioned items. I agreed to an as-is sale for 12.5K off the offer price. Now I get to the next steps and i have so many question...

1. Anyone an idea to determine AC age without manufacturer or model plate? Pictures see attached

2. I have never had a home insurance - what coverage do I need. Most policies come in at 225K dwelling coverage. Is that sufficient? Does anyone have a good website to get different quotes? Should I add earthquake?

3. My inspector highly suggested getting a termite bond - does anyone have recommendations in Charleston? If I do the CL100 with the same company could I then get the bond cheaper?

4. The House has a FROG. My goal is to build another full bath right next to the water heater in the garage and enclose that. Add another door and add a sink and space for Fridge and pretty much have a separate unit within the house to be rented out. Charleston or Mount Pleasant seems to have very strict rules for ADUs. My idea was to not have a full stove to avoid having to go through ADU licensing process. Does anyone know if that works or is allowed?

5. If I were to build a separate unit in the back, I would definitely need a license in Mount plesant - right? Anyone experience how much easier/harder that would be? 

6. HOA would also need to agree to this first, while I think they would not have a say it its inside my house?

7. Does anyone have suggestions for a contractor, who could replace carpet for laminate in 2 rooms + Frog and Stairs, Enclose and build shower, toilet and sink, add side door to garage and small window for bathroom, add another small sink for kitchenette and small contertop?

I'm sure there is more, but that's all i can think of right now.

Thanks!

Danielle 

Loading replies...