• Real Estate Investor
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
MLGW turning on utilities FYI

Elizabeth Wilson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Memphis, TN
Posted May 19 2017, 13:37

Hey ya'll.  Learned some important lessons today while waiting for 2 1/2 hours at the MLGW office downtown Memphis to get utilities turned on in our business name...

I hope sharing this will prevent you the time waste that MLGW is.

1) You CAN open a business account on the phone through the residential service line.  If they tell you that you must go downtown, ask to speak to a supervisor.  We were told incorrectly by a number of employees (who luckily I can't track down).

2) This is all done through the residential phone line and not the commercial line (I was transferred back and forth countless times today).

3) If you must go downtown MLGW office for any reason go first thing in the morning.  You will wait less and never go during lunch because they all take a lunch break at the same time...

If you buy a property in Shelby County that has had utilities off for over a year, you must get electricity and gas inspected.  If you just get electricity turned on then they will take the gas meter and charge you to reinstall.  Also when you do get your inspection finalized, make sure that you follow-up with the code department to send over the results to MLGW.  I've had to call several times today to find out that it still hasn't been sent over (the inspector told me he forgot...)

When in doubt ask to speak with a supervisor when you call MLGW. As one of the ladies told me today:  "there are a lot of new people here who don't know what they are doing".  

I hope this saves someone the headache and waste that my afternoon has been.  

Going to go enjoy what is left of my Friday! :)

Loading replies...